How rare are IDI E350 passenger vans?

460mudsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 90 E350 uhaul with a 7.3 and C6 and have seen several 84-94 IDI vans in my life.

My favorite belonged to a friend of my dad's. He was a superb bodyman. He built original Ford 5th camper puller van (basically equivalent to a supercab truck with a flatbed). He had bought a 85 E250 6.9/C6 that had been rolled. He salvaged what he could and ended up with about 24" bedhind the front seats and put a back wall out of pickup on it. Someone from Ford saw it. They "rented it" from him for a month and took it Detriot for measurements and discussion. They gave him $7k for use of the van and his idea. They actually did build and sell some to the RV market as van comfortable 5th wheel pullers. I remember seeing 2 or 3 of them at different times. They did look cool - a van front end with a western hauler type bed. I think they went away as a result of the popularity of supercab and CC pickups increased and the extra cost to make the vans instead of the trucks.

To see what they have available in your area go to:

http://www.uhaul.com/TruckSales/

If you click on advanced search option, you can specify diesel. They are eliminating the diesels from their fleet. Most can be bought for much less than the price shown online. Mine was listed online at $1595, had a sticker in the window that showed $1195, and I paid $500. It had not been moved in about 6 years. I also bought an 88 IH uhaul with the all aluminin 26' box for $1000.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
A nearby school district in NorCali has a lot of late 80s?/early 90s school bus vans, with the body-above-the-beltline conversion. Here in almost-rust-free country, bet they'll still keep going for a while yet. They're no doubt paid for!

Otherwise, only seen a couple IDI Club Wagons out here.

Lojim

Reaction score
I found my 7.3 IDI on CL. It's a conversion van version (which is even more rare than the passenger van it seems).

You must be registered for see images

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I can't stand the pre 92 look. Screams *********. The 92 + i'd do a 06 grill and superduty mirrors to give it a updated look but still rock the old school IDI. The more i think about it, and the fact that i gotta deal with a E4DOA and stupid sensors... I'm starting to rethink a IDI based van.......

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
I can't stand the pre 92 look. Screams *********. The 92 + i'd do a 06 grill and superduty mirrors to give it a updated look but still rock the old school IDI. The more i think about it, and the fact that i gotta deal with a E4DOA and stupid sensors... I'm starting to rethink a IDI based van.......

Straight 6 92-94 (?) vans still had a c6 trans, so a conversion is possible.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A nearby school district in NorCali has a lot of late 80s?/early 90s school bus vans, with the body-above-the-beltline conversion. Here in almost-rust-free country, bet they'll still keep going for a while yet. They're no doubt paid for!

Otherwise, only seen a couple IDI Club Wagons out here.
I've seen a bunch of those short-buses, although not as many now as there used to be...I'm not sure if they'll be affected by CA's commercial diesel purge :puke: they theoretically should be under the radar if they're E-350's, but I wouldn't be surprised if the school districts decided to get rid of them anyways.

I used to have an '84 E-350 IDI...it was sold as a cargo van, but the previous owner did a home-made conversion job on it. It was a nice van, and I only sold it because after I inherited the truck, I couldn't justify both of them...I still miss that van, though...

I can't remember seeing any IDI Club Wagon vans with my own eyes (although the limited number of ads show that they do exist, but are rare as hens' teeth), although I've seen a couple of PSD Club Wagons including one or two that were being driven by SuperShuttle operators.

Not many psd vans?!?!?! I see then every day. Called mini busses. Lol
Only problem with that is you need a Class B with pax endorsement to drive one, unless you did an interior conversion so it has 10 or fewer seats and doesn't look like you could throw the rest of the seats back in in a few minutes LOL

That would be cool, though :angel:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online