How quickly should the alternator case get hot?

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
While working on the 99 today, I started and ran it for 2-3 minutes. It had been sitting all night. When I got back under the hood, I rested my arm on the alternator and it was a bit hot. I didn't take a temp, but I didn't want to leave my arm there long.

Once I was done working on the truck, I took it for a test drive. When I got it home, I checked the temps. The alternator case was at 199*...

For a perspective, I took a couple other temps..

HPOP reservoir was at 193*

Driver's side oil rail was 182*

I hope the bearings aren't going south on this alternator... This truck has been enough of a money pit already!

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
While working on the 99 today, I started and ran it for 2-3 minutes. It had been sitting all night. When I got back under the hood, I rested my arm on the alternator and it was a bit hot. I didn't take a temp, but I didn't want to leave my arm there long.

Once I was done working on the truck, I took it for a test drive. When I got it home, I checked the temps. The alternator case was at 199*...

For a perspective, I took a couple other temps..

HPOP reservoir was at 193*

Driver's side oil rail was 182*

I hope the bearings aren't going south on this alternator... This truck has been enough of a money pit already!

If it doesn't smell like traction motors on your Chevy.:eek: It will be fine.:D

The alternator dose get quite warm. Bearings will tell you when they quit.;p

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
If it doesn't smell like traction motors on your Chevy.:eek: It will be fine.:D

The alternator does get quite warm. Bearings will tell you when they quit.;p

Easy now.... I've been off work since last Tuesday.. Gallbladder crap again...

If the alternator were to go out, I'd probably shoot this truck and put it out of my misery....

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
On the PSD's the alternators do heat up quickly..... in a minute or two. I was surprised... I had started the truck, moved it a few feet and shut it off.... and the alt was hot enough I didn't want to touch it........

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Gary,

If the 7.3PSD's are anything like the 6.0's in the power consumption department. But the 6.0's use a lot of electricity. We were troubleshooting a possible sneak circuit.... and we had an "amp clamp" on the battery cable, and in just the Wait to Start Cycle the truck drew an initial spike of ~150 amps off of one battery, this was not turning the starter this was just with the key in the on position and the WTS lamp illuminated. They take a lot of power, so just after start-up the alternator is working hard to charge the batteries. Mine is a 6G alt, and is a fairly small case.... I think they should be physically larger to help with the load they carry..... I think it is safe to say, that in normal operation on a PSD the alternator is one of the hotter things under the hood.......