how much weight can I have on top of the cab

mcbg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
planning on parading some husky hunnies around - they will be on top of the cab, thats right the lawn chairs will be securely ducttaped through the doors.LOL

actually I just want to put on one of those wind deflectors for the fithwheel and use the rest for storage, like 650 pounds if I can.
what do you guys think would be the max.

ideally I would have an 80 gallon propane tank filled with water;Really

mcbg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use plywood to distribute weight or risk a cave in for sure.

would plywood be better than a piece of sheet metal?
if the propane tank wont fall on me then i will have a mount for the weight to distribute more evenly.

DragRag

Reaction score
Plywood would be better due to being rigid. Sheetmetal would be to flimsy, and anything thick enough would be to heavy to deal with. Wood would be best I think.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without a proper over-head rack, anything on a roof will about drive you crazy going down the road, turning the entire interior into a big guitar soundbox, roaring and vibrating loudly.

The best is to build an overhead that doesn't even touch any part of the cab, being attached/braced from the head-ache rack.

I have driven a few of these trucks with overheads that extended all the way to the front bumper, with legs that attached to the bumper; the only drawback to these is you have to remember and not get too close to any stop-lights as you can't see "up", only straight ahead.LOL

joe_diesel

Reaction score
planning on parading some husky hunnies around - they will be on top of the cab, thats right the lawn chairs will be securely ducttaped through the doors.LOL

actually I just want to put on one of those wind deflectors for the fithwheel and use the rest for storage, like 650 pounds if I can.
what do you guys think would be the max.

ideally I would have an 80 gallon propane tank filled with water;Really

80 gal of water at 8 lbs per gal = 640 lbs + propane tank + attach hardware + wind deflector and added downforce of the wind all at a very high point on an already high CG truck???

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they mount on the cab's drip rail as stated above. Otherwise, you roof will look my mine used too::eek:
You must be registered for see images

Heath

MeanGreen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Joe. 700 + pounds on the roof is going to make that truck sway bad on turns, etc. And if that water is only half full the sloshing is going to make for some "interesting" handling characteristics. If you do do it, you might want to think about modding the tank and installing baffles to help with the slosh.
Jerry

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
650 on the roof?
I would be concerned about cab fatigue and a posibly cracked windshield if not supported up off the roof itself.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I have racks on My trucks, and have loaded them with 1800 lbs. Without air bags it gets a little hairy. With airbags pumped up to 70-80 lbs it's very drivable. Some noticeable sway, but perfectly safe feeling.