How much can I tow?

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm building a 1969 f100 4x4 but I'm swapping in a 7.3 idi with a 4 speed behind it. I don't plan on towing much with it but I want to be able to get an idea of its limits ahead of time. I do tow other trucks now and then because me and my friends are always getting something new to mess around with. Will this truck handle that or should I stick with the 5.4l f350 for that

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
To tow another vehicle i would stay with the F350. You'll have plenty of power with the F100, but you need to worry about the frame, springs, axles, and most importantly BRAKES! I don't know what the factory limit was, but 5k pounds might be as much as it could safely handle...

If you can find the factory tow ratings I would not exceed them...

My $.02

Last edited:

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
To tow another vehicle i would stay with the F350. You'll have plenty of power with the F100, but you need to worry about the frame, springs, and axles. I don't know what the factory limit was, but 5k pounds might be as much as it could safely handle...

My $.02

Beat me to it, but I agree.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To tow another vehicle i would stay with the F350. You'll have plenty of power with the F100, but you need to worry about the frame, springs, and axles. I don't know what the factory limit was, but 5k pounds might be as much as it could safely handle...

My $.02
Agreed in full, but I would add to that list the BRAKES!! IMHO trucks can generally pull quite a bit more weight than they can safely stop, and trailer brakes only go so far. Just my $.02...

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Agreed in full, but I would add to that list the BRAKES!! IMHO trucks can generally pull quite a bit more weight than they can safely stop, and trailer brakes only go so far. Just my $.02...

Added in edit.... i knew i was forgetting something... :D

You need to be careful not to overload the trucks brakes (its already going to be close with that heavy diesel up front), and make sure your trailer brakes are working and adjusted.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I probably will just use it for a daily driver and get firewood and ****. It's got discs all the way around for brakes by the way

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Anything over 3500 lbs SHOULD have its own brakes as far as trailers go. That being said, with good tires (load range c at a minimum) and your 4 wheel discs, I could see 7500lbs in the mix, especially with load equalization bars. I would definitely save the F350 for interstate duties though. Don''t forget the registration, it should cover the gross weight of the truck and trailer combined

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online