How fast are you guys going through stock filters?

bcool

Reaction score
I'm ordering a 2 micron fleetgaurd setup but for the time being I'm running my stock filter which i believe is rated to around 10 microns. I'm pushing my fuel though with a Holley blue. My filter probably has about 2 tanks on a 10% mix and 100 miles on this tank which is around 60% WMO i noticed my my fuel pressure dropping from 15 psi to around 0 when under throttle. I pulled my fuel filter, took a shop rag and cleaned out each individual crease in the filter and stuck it back in and I'm back to normal pressure again. I'm filtering my oil with 2 household filters (5 micron and 1 micron). So why am I clogging up filters? I'm kinda afraid that when i'm running a 2 micron that i'm going to plug it up almost instantly.

Ultralight

Reaction score
2 micron sounds kind-of tight for an onboard filter. You'll have more cold-weather trouble with one that small. 10 sounds about right as long as you use a good 1-2 micron filter before you put it in your tank. If you properly filter the oil before you put it into your tank they should last as long as regular filters. If there is any water in your tank it will go out rather quickly because of the rust. Household filters will cause you trouble. Just use a good bag filter from McMaster.com. I use part number 5162K73 and they are only $4.73 each.

bcool

Reaction score
WMO and is it possible that the household water filters break down after sitting in oil for a while? I'm going to start doing 250 gallon batches and it would be pretty economical to replace them everytime i filter out a batch

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I find that the lie of a fuel filter is largely dependent on the oil source. I've had some go on one tank full and others last several. I filter to 1 mic before tossing it in the tank.

rock mafia

Reaction score
I bypased the small PITA to change factory filter, and use big filters off tractor trailers. They are 3-4 times the size of the stock filter, and rated to flow 12-15 gal a min.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online