How does the fuel return work?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just curius really. I noticed that my 6.9L was running a little weird, sounding "rattly" and I smelled fuel when I got out. I found the O-Rings where the plastic return gizmo's go were leaking.

So I had to run to NAPA and buy a kit that has new O-Rings, Copper washers, hose and clamps and fix it so I could drive it to work tomorrow. BTW the NAPA kit was Made in USA by Delphi. Cost $37.xx +tax. But I needed it now and they had it. Plus they would not just sell me the O-Rings :mad:

My old O-Rings were brittle and most broke when I tried to remove them.

Anyway. My return lines run between the injectors(I understand that part) in the rear theres a line that crosses over from the passenger side and that line meets another line that I assume runs to the tank. On the drivers side rear another line comes off the rear injector and meets the line that goes to the tank. Then on the passenger front there is a line that comes off the front injector and goes to the filter.

Hows all this work?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I believe you're asking about the line that goes back to the filter. If so IIRC it's there to help bleed out air from the fuel system. The fitting it goes into is a like a check valve. It'll let air through but not fuel. Mine is missing the little flapper on the fitting and from what I've heard, could be causing my hard starts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner