Holley Black pump

sootman73

Reaction score
Where would I go about getting one of these regulators you speak of? I have no idea what it does really. :dunno I just know that fuel pump will put out lol

heath posted that you can get a regular fuel pressure regulator at summitracing.com for $27.

now if you want to do the bypass regulator they are considerably more pricey.

BYPASS

magusjinx

Reaction score
At the risk of being "moderated" ...

Please do not "roll coal" unless you are going up a grade under load ... The diesel industry (and us owners) have always been sneered at by gassers, LOE and just about everyone else because of our smoke ... Black smoke is just money going out the stack as fuel ... And to some it denotes a lack of consideration for others ...

But there was that one time that flower power hippy van tailgated me ... :p

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
There is a few things I would love to say but I better not because there are actually some helpful people on here and my truck still needs work....

Now back to the pumps... What would you guys recomend to put on? I'm still learning but I have studied the fuel system on my truck but don't really know a whole lot about aftermarket performance parts for them.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now back to the pumps... What would you guys recomend to put on? I'm still learning but I have studied the fuel system on my truck but don't really know a whole lot about aftermarket performance parts for them.

Like Gary and Damon already posted, the Holley Red and the Carrier/Facet Duralift are the most commonly used pumps on these IDI's. With the Holley Red you don't need a pressure regulator, with the Carrier/Facet, it is certainly recommended to keep the excess pressure from altering the IP's timing.

Heath

redstang410

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got tired of cheap lift pump replacement that crap out after a few months, so I decided to go with a electric Pump.

I will probably never use the capacity of the fuel system I put together, but i Believe that If your going to Kill It, Over Kill It.

I run a Carter, this one with 18 psi capacity and 100GPH.http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRT-P4601HP/

Carter Pumps are supposed to be longer lasting design than other brands.

I also use a holley bypass regulator at the filter . This one.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Product-Line/Holley-Carburetor-Bypass-Style-Fuel-Pressure-Regulators/?keyword=holley+regulator&autoview=SKU

The main reason is to be able to regulate fuel pressure after the filter, and to take load off the pump at low rpms by returning excess back to the tank.

I feed it all with -8 lines and a 40 micron pre pump filter. And return with -6 lines.

I'll try to post some picts latter.

redstang410

Full Access Member
Reaction score
carter Fuel Pump with Pre Filter
You must be registered for see images attach

Replacement Fuel Tank

Return Style Fuel Regulator

My truck

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Big difference between a bypass regulator and a straight dead head regulator is that a dead head regulator just stops the fuel flow when teh pressure limits out ( it constantly opens and closes ) but can cause a pump to get rather hot. A bypass regulator has an extra line in teh bypass circuit that when the pressure reaches it's preset max it opens up into the bypass port and directs the excess pressure off to the bypass line which you route into the return line back to the tank, this keeps the fuel pump running at max rpms at all time and keeps it from having to load down and get hot. It will make your pump last longer.

That said, I have tested the Facet Duralift pump at varying pressures and it makes zero difference whatsoever in injector timing, most likely due to having a lower GPH flow rate than some other higher pressure pumps that do effect timing, so I simply disconnected the regulator as there is no need for it with that pump. The holleys have a very high GPH flow rate and do seem to require regulation ( the red has about 3 times the flow rate of a Dura Lift with teh dura lift at 30 gph and the red at 97 gph , the holley blue comes in at 110 gph and the black comes in at an insane 140 gph).

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Where would I go about getting one of these regulators you speak of? I have no idea what it does really. :dunno I just know that fuel pump will put out lol

The lift pump you mentioned certainly will move a pile of fuel, but it' moving the fuel at the wrong place. It moves fuel from the tank to the high pressure injection pump....but this isn't where you would want to make your change of delivery volume.

The place you want to make your change if from the injection pump to the injectors. The 8 hard lines that come off the pump at the front of the engine to the 8 injectors in the heads. You need to crank up the fuel delivery screw to "roll coal", or get a 1992.5 - 1994 pump....with the torque screw in them.

I warn you though, not as a preacher, but as a fellow redneck...rolling coal decreases your milage, raises the EGT's through the roof, washes oil off the cylinder walls and soots the oil up WAY faster. All in all, it will cost more $$ for damaging effects.

Get a cold air intake, or a turbo, and turn the delivery screw up a little until the pyrometer.....you need a pyro to play with the fuel safely...tells you to not turn it up anymore.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
anyone that has done a few speed runs with these trucks (especially turbo charged)
Full throttle often makes you go slower until the engine catches up.
If you are 'rolling coal' in my experience you are bogging the engine, as such you are not even getting close to the potential of this engine.... you're just starving it for air.

Thus the plastic bag suggestion.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
carter Fuel Pump with Pre Filter

Replacement Fuel Tank

Return Style Fuel Regulator

My truck

****!!!!! :sly;Sweet:hail

That is all

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gas lift pumps versus diesel

I realize lots of folks are running Holleys and other pumps made for gassers, but one thing to keep in mind with the Facet is that it was designed to push diesel fuel, for a long time in an application that doesn't tolerate failure.

I run a Holley in my racecar, and I keep a couple of spares on hand as the seals do tend to fail every once in a while. This is in a racing application where it gets very little overall usage, whether you are measuring by run time or mileage.

Just my .02 worth: I'd run the Facet as you are buying them really right here on OB and you don't need a ton of fuel volume to power even the stoutest IP pump on an IDI.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck
[/QUOTE]

That red and white rig definitely kicks butt! ;Sweet

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you think about it, Your actually putting the flame out on the combustion stroke. and like Deep roots said, power sucks when rolling coal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online