hmmmm marine motor

memphisrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a thread a while back that detailed a build with marine injectors, turbo, and the pump turned up. According to the guy, he dynoed it and got 300 or so at the wheels (but no dyno sheets were shown). I don't have the link currently, may be someone else knows what I'm talking about and can post a link.

mR

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is that at crank or what though ? our numbers are mostly at wheel which i know has a loss but not 1/3 of the total power i think its only like 10 % anyone know this?

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mercruiser made a marine 7.3 IDI.

HERE IS A LINK to the parts used and they are illustrated as well. Don't see any power rating though.:dunno

Heath

iam almost 100% posotive this is an idi i has a rotary pump like an idi the powerstrokes use a hpop to pressurize the fuel which is completly different, it also has verry similar heads and it has single hole pintle style injectors just like an idi. iam going to look into geting a set;Sweet

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on the bd power forums ( i just google searched 7.3 idi marine injectors ) one guy said he rebuilt his engine and installed marine injectors and when the dynoed it on a bench (meaning at the crank) it made 268 hp with no turbo sounds promising to me if he is being honest

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To formalize the answer, those of us who have been on the boards for a while may remember... we did in fact have a forum member who had an IDI boat. We saw pictures and the whole 9 yards. It seems Mercruiser started putting the 94' turbo IDI's in some models for a brief time, before converting to the powerstrokes. They were not abundant, and if you ask around at marinas they will look at you like you have lobsters coming out of your ears. I'd say the situation is equal to 1987 6.9's. Limited in number, confusing as heck to look at, and almost scarce enough to make you think they don't exist.

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To formalize the answer, those of us who have been on the boards for a while may remember... we did in fact have a forum member who had an IDI boat. We saw pictures and the whole 9 yards. It seems Mercruiser started putting the 94' turbo IDI's in some models for a brief time, before converting to the powerstrokes. They were not abundant, and if you ask around at marinas they will look at you like you have lobsters coming out of your ears. I'd say the situation is equal to 1987 6.9's. Limited in number, confusing as heck to look at, and almost scarce enough to make you think they don't exist.

well thats good news because we know they were out their and the parts may be better EH? did they guy say anything about the power it had iam shure he never really had it on a dyno if it was out of the boat but u never know:D

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where did you guys find the pics i didnt see any on the site just drawings?

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya the drawings show difinate idi i didnt look at too many of um till just now

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's definatley an IDI, and the turbo system is definitely not even remotely like the truck setups, it would be very interesting to know fuel system and turbo specs for that version of the engine.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya but would you pay 175 if it got you 300 hp?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online