hmmmm marine motor

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm maybe if we get this right the psd guys will run marine idis lol

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hah yeah maby or they just wont know what to do?

but i give mildly built powerstrokes a run for their money

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya i keept up with a d max earlier this week till about mid rpm range these idis really do run

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a marinized IDI at our junkyard. Water jacketed manifolds and a water to air intercooler. I had the $300, but no where to put it :-(

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pics. Appears to be a water cooled exhaust turbine housing. goes against keeping it hot to make it spin. Liquid cooled manifolds too. Wonder what temp the exhaust is when it hits the turbo?

You must be registered for see images attach

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it probally dont matter running 5800 all day long
looks like another project for our local redline expert

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pics. Appears to be a water cooled exhaust turbine housing.
goes against keeping it hot to make it spin
. Liquid cooled manifolds too. Wonder what temp the exhaust is when it hits the turbo?

it doesent neccesarily work in a negative way because the exhaust is already in the housing by the time it gets to the wheel, also the water would help with heat because it would keep it in the housing rather than radiating into the engine compartment, their are quite a few newer turbos that run water cooling it helps them last alot longer as well which is probly the biggest reason they did it;Sweet

sassyrel

Reaction score
I think there may have been a marine version of the IDI? I cant say I have ever seen one.. I have never seen a marine powerstroke either though.
Ken

back on the "old" site--i was conversing to someone about a idi boat engine--he worked on em--dont rem who it was--and yes--they were rated for far more hp. we didnt get into why--

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The water cooled housing is used to prevent fires in confined areas. You can see that the engine is enclosed, and it's simply to keep it from burning up. Also, the Marine application usually dictates being run at sustained RPM for hours on end, and that's usually at or close to redline. At that point you have the load, the flow, and RPM, to keep the turbo spooling at all times.

There was a guy on PSN that made 289/551 at the wheels with his IDI. Supposedly had marine injectors, ATS turbo, and turned up pump. No other info was given.

leftcoastjeff

Frankentruck lover
Reaction score
"they were rated for far more hp"

Maybe the endless supply of cooling water?

The exhaust on most boats is cooled in the manifold, then water injection right after, My exhaust (where it comes out the transom), manifold and water injection elbow are cold.

Lose your injector water and burn your boat up pretty quick.

LCjeff

sassyrel

Reaction score
ok--how about a little activity on this??? this marine stuff is looking good--if you can find rebuilt reasonable---:rotflmao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mydixiewrecked

Staff online

Members online