hmmmm marine motor

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
If one could shoe horn this engine into a truck as is, with the water cooled manifolds and turbo.... a few questions.

With out getting into thermodynamics and all those numbers......

How many quarts does this marine engine run in it's cooling system (closed system) when using a heat exchanger?
How much more "cooling" does water do vs air? As in efficiency?

If one could put a custom multi cored radiator in front on the stock location, more cores then the stock for 7.3L IDI....

AND then make a custom BIG radiator to mount on the bed of the truck. Hear me out. Not sure which way the flow would go (front rad first then bed radiator or bed radiator then front radiator)... Any how, if one could make a custom radiator, say just wide enough to fit inside the bed and as tall (7 feet by 2.5 feet by XX" thick) and put high flow electric fans (4 or 5).... If you can double or triple the coolant capacity of the system.... would that be enough to keep this bad boy cool?

Maybe even add an large oil cooler to the lubrication system with an electric fan on it???? I've seen those "funny" tube type coolers that can be mounted in the frame. If one can keep the oil under 190.....

you're getting too complicated and expensive, the swimming pool bed would be cheaper and easier:rotflmao:rotflmao

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you're getting too complicated and expensive, the swimming pool bed would be cheaper and easier:rotflmao:rotflmao

I am to please..... :sly (The easy way usually frowned upon. I work for a govt agency..... the more complicated & expensive, the better! :rotflmao::rotflmao)

Actually, I have a 100 gallon stainless steel spray tank. If one could put the heat exchanger inside that.... Then the only issue would be how to cool the water that the heat exchanger is in? At some point..... it would get HOT. Bubble some nitrogen in it or drop some dry ice into the tank every so often?

Actually, another idea came to mind.... depending on what kind of truck this is (2 or 4x4). One could make another custom radiator that would go behind the front bumper (like how some cars have intercoolers there). :sly

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, I was thinking.....:sly

If one wanted to do it on cheap, one could use a radiator from a class 8 semi or from a rear engine school bus. One or two would probably increase the capacity of the cooling system as an expensive "custom" radiator. But odds are, you would need to use a booster pump to get the coolant to flow from the front to the back. A pump with the proper hose diameter probably could be found at a marine supply, I'm sure they use booster pumps there.

Also, to boost cooling, one could have a 5 gallon tank of water and a windshield washer pump and 'dribble' water onto the cooling fins of the "rear" radiator during high heat peaks. It could be either a manual button to push or put on a temp switch to turn it on automatically.....

Crazy? cookoocookoo I don't know. Might be.... oh well.

Oh, speaking of air cleaners..... I salvaged a really old snow blower that had a Tecumseh motor. I think the brand was "Snow Bird". Any how, they didn't put a air cleaner on it at all! I guess they figured that if you are blowing snow, the odds of having "dust" around is nill...

Last edited:

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
But odds are, you would need to use a booster pump to get the coolant to flow from the front to the back. A pump with the proper hose diameter probably could be found at a marine supply, I'm sure they use booster pumps there.

why not a 12v agchem pump? they flow something like 1200 GPH through a 2inch hose, you'd never run out of water flow!

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why not a 12v agchem pump? they flow something like 1200 GPH through a 2inch hose, you'd never run out of water flow!

That would work. But ya got to slow the flow so that it can actually COOL. ;Sweet Also, could a pump like that take the heat??? Some can, some can't...

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I would assume they would be able to hold up to whatever you can throw at them, some of the chemicals they get used for are extremely caustic, I don't know how you could slow the flow though, maybe a rheostat switch instead of a regular toggle?

gatorman21218

Reaction score
What about a firetruck? Surely you can find a junk one and rob some parts. They have large tanks right? also what about the high pressure hoses?

BUT with all this weight for the cooling comes a cost. I mean if your truck now weighs 15k whats the point of gaining 150hp over stock?

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
as I said, ignore the extra weight, we are gonna pretend the weight wouldn't affect the truck......

I just had an idea!!!! what about running your a/c through the water reservoir???? you could use it to cool the water instead of the cab!!!

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as I said, ignore the extra weight, we are gonna pretend the weight wouldn't affect the truck......

I just had an idea!!!! what about running your a/c through the water reservoir???? you could use it to cool the water instead of the cab!!!

An idea. As long as the water does not ice up on the .... forgot what it's called. :rotflmao

Water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon. And if you are using pure water, this cooling tank won't work in winter.....

This is a nice "what if" exercise.

Last edited: