high idle assistance.

Jamie

Reaction score
I am having trouble wrapping my head around the solenoid action which holds the pedal at a pre-determined setting during a high idle situation. Can somebody kindly outline which solenoid completes this? I continue to troubleshoot the high idle system that exists on my truck. The wiring loosely resembles the recommended manual control method outlined in the tech section.

It seems to work well when it is working but the success rate is intermittent. It is as though the solenoid is binding, maybe a loose connection? I just need to know where to look.

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

Jamie

Reaction score
I understand that part of it. That is the part which has become intermittent. Sometimes it holds, sometimes it doesn't. Maybe I need to switch that solenoid out? Can anybody recite a part number for it?

suv7734

Reaction score
This is the actual solenoid
It and the timing advance solenoid are both controlled by the two prong sensor that is in the passenger side head at the front underneath where the top rad hose goes (an expensive part so treat it gently). There is 12V+ going to one side of the sensor and at less than 112* the sensor provides 12V+ to the terminal on the injection pump (IP). With 12V+ to that terminal it advances the timing and activates the solenoid shown. As mentioned above when you turn the key on you must depress the "go" pedal to set the high idle (like the old gassers with the bimetal thermostat). The factory recommendation is to depress the pedal half way at temps above 32*F and depress the pedal fully at temps below 32*F while cranking. Are you getting a good 'rattle' when starting cold even if the high idle does not 'cut in'?

Attachments

• fast_idle.jpg
    fast_idle.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 34

Jamie

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight guys. I'll give you a little more background on the current set-up. There is a rocker switch on the dash, you engage the switch then tap the pedal before you crank it. The previous owner had installed this so that he could have manual control over high idle. The down side is that it appears there is manual control over the cold start switch as well.

If the sender were bad could this cause the intermiitent performance of the system? Maybe manfesting itself as a problem with the solenoid? Is there a way to test each component separately?

I will go to the recommended set up eventually and do it right, unfortunately my shop is tied up for the next little while so this all goes down in the driveway.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just for our morbid entertainment, you really should post the weather underground temp thingie in your sig line:eek:cookoocookoo
I just looked up your temp there and you won't ever hear me complain about a cold evening down here again.....:eek::eek::eek::eek:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Just for our morbid entertainment, you really should post the weather underground temp thingie in your sig line:eek:cookoocookoo
I just looked up your temp there and you won't ever hear me complain about a cold evening down here again.....:eek::eek::eek::eek:

What are you talking about??? It's only 17 deg f below zero up there right now. Heck, that's just a nice balmy fall day for that neck of the woods :rotflmao

------Robert

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you talking about??? It's only 17 deg f below zero up there right now. Heck, that's just a nice balmy fall day for that neck of the woods :rotflmao

------Robert
let's bring some context into this here....it's 48deg here where I'm sitting:D
They'd be running around in T-shirts and shorts up there if it was that temp...
On a serious note, I'm sure the previous owner installed the manual overrides in order to adapt to the climates up there. I really doubt any of the "factory" setting stuff would be of any real value. Bottom line these trucks are a "thinking person's" kind of ride. They are easily adaptable to wherever you're living in but the more you deviate from stock, the closer you have to pay attention to it.

Jamie

Reaction score
Roger that. I know this thing will be bullet-proof once I get her figured out, if I get time today I will trace each wire and whip up a schematic to help generate some more ideas.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Roger that. I know this thing will be bullet-proof once I get her figured out, if I get time today I will trace each wire and whip up a schematic to help generate some more ideas.

You're on the right track. Once you figure out what's wired to what in there, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Would you mind sending some of that snow down here, it's not nice to hog it all :D

------Robert.....57 deg f outside and burning up.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
And maybe list how that thing is wired? I want one of those overrides on my truck for extended idles! It does work right? flip switch set idle with foot and once warm trun switch off?:love:

slideordie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you have to have the diode in place or can you just make sure the solenoid gets 12v? i currently have a mechanical temp gauge where the temp sensor was. is this not advancing my timing anymore? sorry if im hijacking this thread im just trying to understand

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larrymac

Staff online