here is my weird conversion

dave1shere

Reaction score
I have a 1981 BMW motorcycle that I have converted over to diesel using a yanmar engine from a John Deere lawn tractor. I get a top speed of 60 mph, but I am able to get 85 miles per gallon.;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool. Was it in a 430? I like my 318, but wished I had a 420. Well, at least my motor is American. How about some close up pics?

dave1shere

Reaction score
pic

pic

Attachments

• Pic_0032.jpg
    Pic_0032.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Pic_0033.jpg
    Pic_0033.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Pic_0034.jpg
    Pic_0034.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 83
  • PIC_0036.jpg
    PIC_0036.jpg
    944.4 KB · Views: 60

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
wow that is neat, i was tinkering around another web site that did that. they used hydraulics to transfer power though, i would think your set up would be better through a gear box.

could you change the sprockets to get more speed or are you running out of power?

dave1shere

Reaction score
sprocket

a BMW is a shaft drive. It doesn't have a sprocket. The only thing I could do is change out fifth gear in the transmission. The only problem is, I can get a taller fifth gear from a company in Germany but with the exchange rate of euros versus dollars to gear would cost me about $300 plus I would have tear my tranny apart.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's a clean looking conversion.:thumbsup:
is the need for the the saddlebag feul tanks due to the motor pushing into the bottom of the front tank or for longer range?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I like my 318, but wished I had a 420. Well, at least my motor is American.

Mel... a Dear John????????...... I figured you would have have an IH Cub Cadet...... I have a IH CC 1450 to go with my IH Diesel........

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea I know. Actually a old Wheel Horse would have been acceptable too, but JD is about the only good brand with plenty of support around here. IH hasn't owned Cub Cadet in a very long time, and that brand has gone down hill quite a bit.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I understand... that is why mine was built in 1977. Dad and i have 5 all together. He has 2 149's and a Red 782, I have the 1450 and a post selloff 782, and it has a blown engine and was bought for the tiller and 3pt hitch... and parts......

dave1shere

Reaction score
fuel tank

In answer to your question, yes, the fuel tanks, saddle bags are the only fuel tanks on the bike. The frame had to be modified, and the engine takes up most of the room in the original fuel tank. I hollowed it out and filled it with foam, which cuts down on some of the noise. I have a three-way switch valve underneath the seat to be able to switch between tanks. By the way, the yanmar engine loves biodiesel I am able to run the B100 without any problems.

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it.

Yup.... just what the Rocketeer said when he strapped on that jet pack...

So, do people give you funny looks when you park that or fire it up? Was it built for fuel economy or did the original engine go bad and you had the diesel laying around?

dave1shere

Reaction score
Yes I get a lot of funny looks especially when I take it up the bike week in Daytona. In answer to your other question, I did it for fuel economy. I'll have to admit the project was started by another person. I took his project and refined it. Another reason for the bike is. I have a Mercedes-Benz diesel. My wife drives a VW diesel and I have a Ford F250 diesel and a diesel lawnmower. Some of my coworkers, challenged me to build a diesel bike. When I found this one up for sale I had to have it.

Danoflapper

Reaction score
Nicely done. I've never seen a home brewed diesel bike before. Looks factory.

Can you smoke people out with the twist of a wrist? eww it rhymed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online