HELP!

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
93 7.3L w/ 170K, My wife put 10 gallon of GASOLINE in the front tank which was down to a quarter. Two miles down the road the truck "chugged along" and died as she stopped to exit the highway.

I haven't tried anything yet. I am guessing that the gas made about a 75% mixture to diesel. Any advice on what to expect when I get to look at it?

The injectors and pump are old and it has been running a little retarded lately. Any cghance it just killed the dying fuel system?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Start draining everything out. Flush the fuel lines, change the fuel filter and if it were me, I'd also pull the IP to get as much of the gasoline out of the IP as well.
Fill the filter up with yer favorite additive and give it a whirl.
Should be ok.

IIRC they can run a mix of gas but can't recall what the max safe percentage is right off hand.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I first got my truck there was water and about year old diesel in the tanks. I just took the line off the fuel pump coming from the tanks and put a siphon on it to drain the tanks. This seemed to work good because once the siphon is started you can just wait.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck, I don't even need to siphon them - I just pull the hose off my fuel heater (old ATF cooler in bottom rad tank), fuel starts dumping out at incredible rates really, all gravity pushed too!

Ron, IIRC 30% or less gasoline is OK. In winter when I run WMO I cut it with 25% or less gasoline, seems to work good.

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am hoping that cleaning it out does the trick. She only drove a mile, but it died and she couldn't get it to start.

I am hoping that being a little retarded just caused it to run crappy and not self destruct. I have heard 25% gas mix, and I think Mr roboto (I hope I have the right handle) claimed to have run 50% in his tow truck before, but this is new ground for me.

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I towed it to a friends garage bc it was closer than home at the time. He just called and said he drained everything and filled the filter with trans fluid and it is running fine.:thumbsup: May not be wise to throw a turbo on anytime soon, but at least I am not out looking for donors.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good, glad she's all fixed up. These engines are pretty tough really, remember it's actually a medium-duty engine stuffed into a light-duty truck... Oh, and don't get too angry at your wife - here in MI we have the diesel pumps marked with both black and green handles (sometimes even yellow), and I think it's the same mess down in OH too, so it's entirely possible she just looked at the color of the pump nozzle handle and went on to fill up the tank, without actually verifying the fuel is indeed diesel fuel - I know I'm guilty of that, scared the **** out of my buddy like that once when I put in 5 gallons of regular unleaded in my diesel tank...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This was just talked about here. Yes, I remember something about safely running 25% gasoline without problems but it drys out the diesel too if an additive isn't added. Glad things are ok now...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Switch to the rear tank. Re-fill the fuel filter with a Lubricity formula and energize the cold idle advance (happens automatically if the engine is cold) Assuming you have a few gallons in the other tank, you should be able to get it to start without too much hassle. Once the lubricity hits the pump, it should light off. Keep the throttle floored while cranking, to purge the injectors of gas. If it seems to be taking a lot of cranking, disable the glow plugs. No need to tax them or your batteries until you have white smoke at the exhaust. An electric fuel pump would be a real blessing right now. ;Really Gas has zero lubricating qualities, so you might have just done to your pump what they did to the cash for clunkers trade-ins.

On edit... ok, never mind then. LOL

Last edited:

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
i dont mean to hijack but ho would one go about disabling the GPs? is it as simple as just pullting the connectors off of them?

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys;Sweet Thats why I love this site.

Not mad at her, as a matter of fact, I was kinda thinking that this meant I could spend some extra $$ on my truck and SHE would feel guilty about it instead of me.:D

As far as the GPs, I am not sure its right, but I would disconnect the power to the relay and tape it up good.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
i dont mean to hijack but ho would one go about disabling the GPs? is it as simple as just pullting the connectors off of them?

White wire with the blk tracer on the controler. Disconnect it and that will disable the system.