Help with frozen locks

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Locks in my truck are frozen, I have tried commercial De-icing aerosol spray, heating the key up with a heat gun till it was to hot to hold onto with no success, anything else I should be trying?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heat the lock itself with the heat gun. You sure you have the right key?

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Key goes in and turns a bit then stops, I think the lock its self is not the problem but the linkage behind the door panel.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
It took a long time for me to get my truck open a while ago because the driver side was gummed up or something. The key wouldn't turn at all. Then it finally turned to the right, then a little to the left, then all the way to the left. My passenger side latch is just fubared and won't unlock except with a firm pull of the interior handle.

I suppose I am suggesting wiggling the key both ways. I know it sounds stupid but I didn't think of it for a while. Other than what has been mentioned I am a little low on ideas at the moment

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wiggling the keys doesn't do much, I managed to get the door open, I just left the vent window unlocked so if need be tomorrow morning i can just open the vent window reach in and hit the unlock button.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Wiggling the keys doesn't do much, I managed to get the door open, I just left the vent window unlocked so if need be tomorrow morning i can just open the vent window reach in and hit the unlock button.

for some odd reason, the 85,94,and 96[all the same type locks] i have, freeze on me..and had the exact same problems your having---if you can get the lock out--and you dont have to remove the door panel to do this--a locksmith can normally get the lock apart, and clean it........and a good locksmith,will tell you to use N O lube in that lock!! seems the later truck bodys had problems with this!! i found a truck,,that had remote door locks..which is uncommon prior to 99 yr trucks...that whole assm is going into my latest acquisition, because of this problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rotflmao:rotflmao

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
wierd. i never had a problem with the locks on mine. now my gmc has frozen them up before.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I have a wierd problem with my locks. The power lock button is sending juice but for a while only the right rear door would work. However, that right rear door would only lock with the power lock. You can't lock it manually. The rest of them don't work and you can lock them with the post.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you try WD40? It will absorb the moisture if any and clean/lube the lock. Squirt inside and outside then turn it backand forth several times til it's free.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it open last night but it was frozen again this morning, lucaklly i left that vent window open. Maybe I'll have to pull off the door pannel and thaw out the whole assembly.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
My passenger side always gives me fits! my driver if it feels the need will also. The way I prevened the problem was I parked her inside last night and when I got home from work. :D

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two things can be going on.

The belt weather-strip could be letting water run inside and freeze the mechanism.

Or, years of grit, grime, and dog-hair has gummed up the actual latch mechanism.

If the problem be the later, remove the entire latch mechanism and toss it in a bucket of kerosene; the LATCH assembly, NOT the key-lock.

After a good soak, go after everything with a stiff bristle brush until it is all squeeky-clean.

Let it drain dry, then blow it clean with an air-hose.

Lube it all real good with silicone lube and reassemble the door.

If water entering through the key-hole is the problem, get it thawed out, then drive the water out with a generous application of WD-40.

Once the water is gone, put a blob of Vaseline over every key-hole and replace it when it gets washed away.

Vaseline absolutely will not allow water to get past it; and, everytime you poke the key through the Vaseline, a bit gets carried into the mechanism, doing all sorts of good things. ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online