Help please. fuel pump bad? or injector?

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
I just started noticing this issue today, but I haven't been able to diagnose what exactly is causing it yet. My motor is a jasper reman with unknown mileage, I do believe it is reaching that 150k mark where the fuel system needs replaced.

Symptoms:
There is a new rattle under the hood at higher rpms (that's where I notice it at least) that leads me to believe it's an injector (or maybe a valve?)
EGTs go up quick. I rarely used to see over 1000*, today I floored it and got 1100*. It's warmer cruising down the road now and it's putting out a lot of black smoke.
Occassionally around 2k rpm it'll suddenly fall on it face, and then pick up again. Sometimes it takes a split second, other times a second or two. I found it would do this every time when I was in 3rd gear and I slowly accelerated up to 2k rpm. If I kept slowly accelerating it would eventually pick up again.
I've noticed white smoke on start-up lately, used to just be black.

Also, it has no issues starting, even when it's cold. Haven't even plugged it in all winter (though it was 60 today so that isn't saying a lot). I can't hear the rattle when it idles and it doesn't idle rough.

I don't want to spend a bunch of money, I plan on putting my 12 valve in in 2 months or so, but I need this thing to get me around until then. I'm planning on taking the injectors out tomorrow and bringing them to a local diesel shop to have them pop-tested. I'm just hoping maybe someone has a good idea what it is before I do so. If it's the pump I don't want to waste my time with the injectors obviously. Or maybe something else could cause this? Any input is appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited:

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
"Rev up and fall flat on it's face for no apparent reason" is usually a symptom of a bad injection pump... could be more than just one problem though. If you get yourself a used, a reliable pump, you can always sell it back to someone else when you do your swap.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
There is an initial puff and then some steady white smoke on cold mornings until it warms up.

I do have a spare used pump that was good when I pulled it. I'll have to do some researching on pump removal / installation

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
There is an initial puff and then some steady white smoke on cold mornings until it warms up.

I do have a spare used pump that was good when I pulled it. I'll have to do some researching on pump removal / installation

IP R+R is easy. There's a tech article about it that I used the first time I did one. It helps to be looking at it when you're reading it though, so I printed it out so I knew what it was talking about.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fuel pump could be giving you greif as well. Too little fuel pressure certainly can give high RPM stumble. The IP (as stated above) could also be the culprit. As these fuel parts wear, the timing will retard a bit. This could explain the change in engine noise, high EGT's, and smoke. Are you using much oil? Do you hear any "huffing" from the intake or exhaust? If so, you'd need to pull the valve covers and rockers and check the valves for guide wear.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Maybe a double dose of atf in the tank or directly into the fuel filter will free up the pump. Its cheap.. Its easy to do and it may fix things...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online