Help on several issues for my '83 6.9l

Zbugsii

Reaction score
First of all, thanks for everybodies help.

1. My electric vacuum pump for the activating the air flow control for the A/C and heat is not working. So, first, a good source for a replacement pump? Then, is there an after market pump and anybody might be using that is better than what was provided as OEM?

2. I have original factory A/C, but the freon has all leaked out. After I find the leak... what is necessary to be able to use the current freon available? Can I use the existing parts or... ? Is it even worth the effort?

3. If I wanted to put a tach in, what is necessary to do so? Either OEM or after market? Is there even an after market source? What and where is the sensor for providing the tach input?

This is my current projects on it... so, all and any help is appreciated. I did some searches... but did not find everything I needed to figure it all out, just enough to ask more questions and/or become dangerous.

Thanks

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you are dangerous already! Your vacuum pump should be mechanical, not electrical. If you don't have vacuum, or have a leak or a missing cap where you are supposed to, it won't hold a vacuum and nothing that depends on vacuum will work. Vacuum pump is on the front of the engine and runs on a belt.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is easy to retrofit your ac, just get a kit with all the orings and change them ALL. Get a variable orifice tube and a new drier, while its apart blow out as much old oil as you can, then take it and get it charged with 134a, a shop can pull a vacuum on the system to make sure it doesnt leak .

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you like this truck and want to keep it and make the AC run, you should probably replace all the parts, compressor, condenser and evaporator. A lot of money if you buy new parts but going through the AC system is tedious, and I personally would only want to do it once. The usual failure points are the AC compressors and sometimes the high pressure lines. The orifice will be full of junk (compressor guts) if the compressor has failed. If the orifice tube is clean, it's possible you don't need all that stuff, just a retrofit kit, orifice tube and the correct oil/refrigerant. As far as the vacuum pump, the brake booster and AC vents use vacuum from the pump and if you have a C6 so does the VRV and vacuum modulator. If you have a manual and hydroboost conversion there's no reason why you couldn't use an electronic pump. I have heard that perhaps the e-pump is against DOT rules for vacuum boosted brake systems but I cannot confirm the truth of this. If it is the standard vacuum pump you need you should be able to get one at any auto parts store, the trick is always getting that pulley off and pressed onto the new pump. I've replaced my vacuum pump probably 2 or 3 times in about 74,000 miles since I bought the truck in 03. You could also grab one from a wrecking yard, any 83-91 Ford diesel should have the same one...in fact for all IDIs at least up until they went to the serpentine belt system they should all be the same.

Zbugsii

Reaction score
Thank you all for the information... but...

Yes, I was wondering about the vacuum system(s).

I seem to have an electric vacuum pump for the A/C system. Maybe it was retrofitted at some time. I know my 2002 F250 had an electric vacuum pump for the A/C system.

I guess I will figure it all out.

One last question on this if anybody knows.... My mother-in-law has claimed ever since she has had the truck (25 yrs) the brake warning light comes on... stays on for a while... then eventually goes out. She said she had it looked at by a number of mechanics... but none could figure it out. The mechanical vacuum pump has been replaced at least once, last time about 40k miles ago.

Any ideas on what to look for in this regard?

Again, thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.