Help needed for hard Starting

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It occurs to me that it might be a good idea to put a squeeze bulb from an outboard fuel line in the circuit. That could be a cheap, easy way to prime the pump.

tonyj54

Reaction score
I would also plug it in and see if that helps your hard start.

Okay. Gonna jump in here, if I may.

My '86 F-250 has the 6.9, with a Banks Sidewinder that was installed after the engine was rebuilt by the previous owner.

Let me confess at the outset that I'm not a gearhead, especially where diesels are concerned, but I do love my truck, and want to learn more about it. So, please, forgive my ignorance.

Started having starting issues earlier this year, and I ended up plugging in the block heater every night while I tried to muddle through the problem.

I thought I understood that the 6.9 needs glowplugs pretty much all the time, at least for the first start of the day. So, when my "wait to start" dashlight failed to come on at all, I plugged him up every evening. And, continued to do so until this week.

Well, when I went out about two hours ago to plug it up, I decided on impulse to give him a try. Turned key, cranked for about a three-count, let it go. On third try, I had decided that it wasn't gonna happen. Fourth try, he catches like he's brand new. No runaway, no worries, no problems.

Uh-oh. Now what?

So, as a science experiment, I've decided to leave him unplugged for tonight, as I might be using him in the morning, and want to see if he'll come to life after a night's sleep.

So, I suppose that the help what I'm looking for is the same as the OP.

I have looked at some other posts on here and a couple other forums, and have seen that the main connector has a tendency to melt inside. So, it is my intention to check that connection first, and possibly bypass it and splice the heavy orange wires feeding (presumably) the controller, to see if that makes a difference.

At this juncture, does it sound like I'm on the correct path, or am I wandering aimlessly in the wilderness?

Gonna mark this thread, so I can come back to it after supper. Wife's birthday, so we're doing dinner in.

Thanks for allowing me to jump in. And, in advance, for any help.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay. Gonna jump in here, if I may.

My '86 F-250 has the 6.9, with a Banks Sidewinder that was installed after the engine was rebuilt by the previous owner.

Let me confess at the outset that I'm not a gearhead, especially where diesels are concerned, but I do love my truck, and want to learn more about it. So, please, forgive my ignorance.

Started having starting issues earlier this year, and I ended up plugging in the block heater every night while I tried to muddle through the problem.

I thought I understood that the 6.9 needs glowplugs pretty much all the time, at least for the first start of the day. So, when my "wait to start" dashlight failed to come on at all, I plugged him up every evening. And, continued to do so until this week.

Well, when I went out about two hours ago to plug it up, I decided on impulse to give him a try. Turned key, cranked for about a three-count, let it go. On third try, I had decided that it wasn't gonna happen. Fourth try, he catches like he's brand new. No runaway, no worries, no problems.

Uh-oh. Now what?

So, as a science experiment, I've decided to leave him unplugged for tonight, as I might be using him in the morning, and want to see if he'll come to life after a night's sleep.

So, I suppose that the help what I'm looking for is the same as the OP.

I have looked at some other posts on here and a couple other forums, and have seen that the main connector has a tendency to melt inside. So, it is my intention to check that connection first, and possibly bypass it and splice the heavy orange wires feeding (presumably) the controller, to see if that makes a difference.

At this juncture, does it sound like I'm on the correct path, or am I wandering aimlessly in the wilderness?

Gonna mark this thread, so I can come back to it after supper. Wife's birthday, so we're doing dinner in.

Thanks for allowing me to jump in. And, in advance, for any help.
Never apologize for asking for help! If it looks like the connector is melted then that could be causing the issues, but if that wts light isn’t coming on at all I’d look at the controller first. You can always bypass the controller by pulling the white wire off and wiring it to a switch in the cab to supply a ground. This will engage the relay assuming that is in good condition.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Never apologize for asking for help! If it looks like the connector is melted then that could be causing the issues, but if that wts light isn’t coming on at all I’d look at the controller first. You can always bypass the controller by pulling the white wire off and wiring it to a switch in the cab to supply a ground. This will engage the relay assuming that is in good condition.

This is an 86... has the non-intellegent controller threaded into the back of the drivers side head. The glow plug relay is on the passenger fender, by the starter relay. Looking into those and the associated wiring..... The bad thing about the 83-86 6.9 Controller is it normally fails on, not fail-safe like the 7.3 controller.

tonyj54

Reaction score
Well.

Went out yesterday to try the truck. Took a few extra tries, but it did catch, so, maybe, the 6.9 will behave itself while I continue to get some work done on it, a little at a time.