Heating up WMO for filtering

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I think I'm going to go with a 60' run of pipe heater line and wrap it around the drums. Supposedly good for 7 watts per foot! I'll just override the thermostat. Has anyone tried this? $59.00 vs $130.00 for a drum heater.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Was thinking of going 85/15 - dunno if 15% diesel would be enough. Eventually I'll be centrifuging it too - heating it would also help precipitate the gunk to the bottom.

In any case I may just dilute 50/50 for my first batch before I figger out the heating situation.

p.s. I'm processing 55 gallons at a time so the 5 gallon bucket heater ain't doing me any good.

Probably the 120v bucket heater....

Why heat it? Why not just mix it 50/50 with diesel to thin it before filtering it?? You aren't running straight WMO anyway - are you?

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got access to a wire-feed welder? If so get a 1.5" bung fitting and bore a hole in the side of the barrel about 6" from the bottom, weld in the bung, and put a 120v 1500 watt water heater element in it. You can also install a t-stat from a water heater too if you want to make sure you never leave it on too long

72f2504x4390

Reaction score
You would be money ahead to just drag the drum to a weld shop and have them weld in a bung or 2 for you then just use water heater elements. Elements are only about $10. A weld shop would probably only charge you a 20 or a half rack of beer if you find the right one.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I'm working on getting a wire flux core welder and learning how to use the darned thing. Should be fun :)

I ended up grabbing a girdle heater with thermostat from fleabay for $35.00 used. I pretty much stole it using an auction sniper.

72f2504x4390

Reaction score
Flux core will do all right on heavier guage stuff, but thinner metal like the drums are you can't get it hot enough to melt the flux out properly. You will have problems welding things that need to be sealed without gas. I started with a flux/gas machine running flux then bought a bottle and regulator. I think I am into it less than $400 total. Best investment I have ever made.

Those snipe programs are pretty neat.:thumbsup: