heat shield question

thirstyram

Reaction score
Is anyone familier with the heat shield that goes around the turbo compressor for Cummins. It's the one that costs about 25 bucks and you have to drill and tap three holes, "in the non critical part of the compressor".Any down side to this thing? It says it does'nt retain heat in the turbo. Anyone got one on thier truck? I'd sure like to hear some input on it. Wondering about higher EGT or longer cooldown time etc. Thanks

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is that it is for personnel protection so some meck-a-neck doesnt reach under the hood and burn his little booger pickers on a hot turbo.

red wagon

Reaction score
sounds like some body likes shiny parts look to me like it would hold more heat thats just more stuff in the way buy a cold air kit if u worry bout heat

Whit

Reaction score
I just built my own but my setup is different because I swapped locations of my battery and air intake so my ramair would be more functionable

Whit

Reaction score
I just built my own but my setup is different because I swapped locations of my battery and air intake so my ramair would be more functionable

Attachments

• Aug28149.JPG
    Aug28149.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 14

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whitmore :hailyou sneaky old fart I wish I'd thought of that first.
Were you able to use the original cables or not, it doesn't look like it if not did you just have a new set made up ??:cheers:

Whit

Reaction score
I used the OEM cables but extended them............funny because I did this in 01 when the truck was 6 months old...........then in 03 Dodge did the same thing to their models

I found the rubber boot intake in the junk yard off a wrecked ford diesel

thats the OEM battery box too........ifin I remember right I hadta cut some junk off the bottom, the batteries are Optimas and are less in height than the OEM units were