Heat related clutch issue

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the dually I just got back on the road, it drives great at night and for about the first half hour during the day -its been about 90 degrees out here- but after that, the clutch doesn't seem to fully engage. It gets worse as I drive it longer - first it will be hard to get into first at a stoplight, then I will have to rev the engine to shift into first as I coast to a stop, then it wont even go into first until I shut the truck off. I'm sick of driving it like a semi... I just put a good clutch in it, and replaced the throwout bearing and clutch fork. Is this likely to be the linkage under the dash needing the heim conversion? Air in the system maybe? I took the cylinder on the tranny off today and couldn't see anywhere to bleed it. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes and Yes - replaced the pilot, and the firewall does have a little bit of flex... would the heat in the engine bay make the metal more flexible maybe? It doesn't seem like the movement is excessive, even when it is acting up. I know it shouldn't move at all, I just don't really see the heat affecting that.

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
Mine has some of the same symptoms, some binding, but only after warm-up, and slight flexing. I suppose that every little bit counts, so I'll be bracing appropriately to fix it. (hopefully cheaper than buying the kit from ford, but I'll have to weight my options...)

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll fab in a brace of some sort tomorrow I guess and see if it helps... is there a way to bleed this system?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get the Ford TSB kit. Well worth the time it will save you. Any firewall flex is bad.

tractorman86

Reaction score
i know on a zf you have to bleed it by pumping the slave cyl. at a 45 deg. angle by hand but i'm not sure about t-18/19

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you check the crummy little plastic bushing on the pedal assembly itself? Mine just went out and it's unbelieveable how much a little slop there ends up being in your clutch engagement. I was going to do the heim joint mod (Heim Joint Article Here) but I didn't have time so I modified a hardware store bronze bushing and replaced the plastic one. Unbelieveable how much easier the clutch pedal pressure is with a bronze bushing and a touch of grease.

Good luck

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to try that bronze bushing thing or the heim joint mod at some point. The problem is in the linkage or the flex - I modified the clutch pedal so I could depress it a little more and it drives 100% normal. At least now when I have time to fix it right I know what I'll be fixing...
Mel - is that TSB kit something you get through ford? any idea on the price? Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin