headlight switch

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey all,

would a bad headlight switch cause a battery drain down? The switch is giving my the usual ford issue related to the dimmer part.

Also the light that indicates that the parking brake is on comes on and goes off several times while driving with the parking brake off?

And the last one is the steering column which is a tilt wheel is loose and moves left to right? Is there something i can tighten up? Or something that may be loose or worn out? Fix?

And last but not least the air conditioning compressor clutch is turning on and off every like 10 seconds, i unplugged it and it doesn't do it anymore?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would a bad headlight switch cause a battery drain down?

Only if it was leaving some lights on, or had a wire shorted to ground.

The switch is giving my the usual ford issue related to the dimmer part.

The dimmer-switch and headlight-switch are TWO completely independent switches.

If you have the crappy column-mounted dimmer, dis-connect that junk and get yourself one of the good ones that screws to the floor where dimmers are supposed to be.

Ford headlight wiring is about as shoddy as it gets; many trucks have burned to the ground on account of it.

There is a little TAN wire, about the size of a fiddle-string, that should be as thick as a thumb, that you will find to be all burnt and melted, just waiting to burn down your truck.

RELAY the headlights and move any trailer-lights and auxilliary markers to seperate individual switches, and your headlight-switch will last forever.;Sweet

Also the light that indicates that the parking brake is on comes on and goes off several times while driving with the parking brake off?

This is an indication of slack in the park-brake cable, due either to rear shoes needing adjustment, or the cable itself needing tightening.

USE THE PARK-BRAKE every time you park, or the cables will rust and sieze internally and freeze up the brakes.

7.3shrk

Regarding the A/C clutch - not to sound dumb - do you have the defrost on? Is everything off when it is doing it? Have you checked the switch and wiring?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been able to identify my "Daytime running light Module" as a culprit for an unidentified battery drain. I removed it and have to this point not had a single instance of NO battery in the morning.

Prior to removal, I had intermittent issues with a dead battery in the morning or after leaving the truck for a while.

JM2CW

slideordie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these headlight switches are a ***** i must say. you gotta be careful as noted in several other posts. just recently this week i started my truck to warm up went inside then got back in to leave. i pull the switch and the whole truck shut off. and i mean EVERYTHING the engine all lights radio everything but he hazards and brake lights. i beilieve its stupid all the stuf thats run through this one switch. id try placing it they are fairly cheap and easy to replace. i replaced mine in about 15 minutes