Headlight switch?? -Need HElp

jdw7.3

Reaction score
OK. My lights have been doing really weird things. If i pull the headlight knob out all the way my headlights come on but my tail lights and dash lights do not light up. If i slowly inch the knob in I can CAREFULLY find a spot where all the lights work. SO i figured i needed a new switch. I replcaed it yesterday and nothing changed. ANy ideas on what to look for next :confused:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how does the plug going into the switch look? Betcha its melted and the spade connectors aren't getting a good contact. address this matter ASAP, its the biggest reason for the death of our trucks. Electrical fires from the headlight switch is our #1 killer.

jdw7.3

Reaction score
ok- i'll have another look at it. Can I replace the plug (just the plug part not the whole harness??

I am surprise they haven't made ford do a recall-- By the way- are there any recalls i should be aware of with the truck??

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the plug with pigtails should still be a ford service item. It's a ford known problem. BTW do you have any extra "chicken lights" on your truck? If you do, you really need to relay your accy lights too.

jdw7.3

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick replys! no i dont have any extra lights on the truck

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
I had close to that problem with mine. Ended up I had 2 melted connectors on the light switch, and one on the fuse block. Check them over good. Mine was not to far gone and the plastic was not deformed much. I was able to pull the connectors out of the plastic, clean them up, close them a little bit and solder the wire onto the connector. Then they poped back into the plastic connector with out any problems.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Had the same problem. Did the same as wwwabbit and has been working good since. Looking into a relay setup for mine in the future.

jdw7.3

Reaction score
OK- I cut the plug off at the switch and installed sperate connectors on all the wires. Still having the same problem. If i pull the headlight swith all cthe way out I only get the headlights (no tail or dash lights) When I slowly push the knob in a can find the sweet spot that powers all the lights. I replaced the switch but that didn't do anything. I am in the process of adding relays for the headlights but I don't think that will fix the problem at the switch. Is it possible the new switch went bad immediately b/c incorrect wiring or should I be looking somewhere else. Note.--I can hear a clicking noise under the hood when i pull the knob out and it activates the headlights. I hear the same noise when i push the knob in and the dash/tail lights turn on. What is this???

I need help to get this fixed.

THANKS!! ;Sweet

jdw7.3

Reaction score
it almost sounds like a relay that is activating. I am going to look closer to see if I can find a fuse or relay box

Exekiel69

Reaction score
yes, it could be the relay i have the same click on my 100W bumper lights. i installed a separate relay for the alone and every time i turn them on while at idle i can hear the click and i believe it is coming from the relay.

Exekiel.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain this relay setup to mitigate the electrical fire danger?

Sounds like a worthwhile investment. LOL

Gotta love Quality Engineering...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike-
the factory switch was designed to handle the "designed" load of stock wiring demands. towtrucks as an example, gets quite a few more lights than your stock pickup and the result is every light bulb you add, the amp demand goes up. Unlike GM who put a relay on just about everything, ford still doesn't to this day. The whole amp load on the lights goes right into the switch. if there is any problems, the switch will either melt or worse yet, go up in flames. That is the #1 cause of death to our diesels. Relays, take the load off the switch and can handle the amp load better. Depending on how much you want to spend, the sky is the limit for the amp load. My favorite is the circuit breaker/ relay assy that AWdirect sells. Very pricey but keeps the truck from burning to the ground.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Relay

Mike,
Check the FAQs section or the tech articles. There is a posting I submitted on them. Also look at my pics at TDS, I have a burnt switch and the realys posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online