head studs delayed

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
my studs had not arrived by their due date (friday) so i called Summit Racing to find out what was up. as it turns out they had not even been shipped (direct from ARP to me) yet due to the weather and flooding going on in California. i feel for those affected by the weather out west and now i guess i am one of them. i hope to have my studs by the end of next week. this really stinks because i need to get my work truck back on the road. i'm not getting pissed because there's no point in it but i will say :***:

ROB

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
That's a bummer Rob. Doesnt it always seem like when you have the time you cant get the parts. Then I'll bet when the parts show up you wont have the time to put-em together.

Warwagon

Reaction score
Rob,
That does stink:fart
But what you gonna do? It does give you time to be sure all of the prep work is flawless and some extra time to enjoy the mental anguish of the whole process though:frustrate Hang in there buddy.;)
Mark

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry about that Rob. I know we all tend to think we aren't affected by things like Sunami's and mud slides, but it seems eventually we all feel the impact somehow. I know I'm not going to get very far with my Bronco project until at least March or April due to the weather.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
they finally came

my head stud kit finally arrived from ARP!:D

with any luck i should have my truck back by the end of this weekend. :thumbsup: -Flame Thr :rock: :music: :Thumbs Up

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rob, you supposed to get any snow tomorrow? We're supposed to get a good 6-12". I have an operation session scheduled for tomorrow, which I think is not going to happen.

Warwagon

Reaction score
Re: they finally came

Originally posted by 69oiler
my head stud kit finally arrived from ARP!:D

with any luck i should have my truck back by the end of this weekend. :thumbsup: -Flame Thr :rock: :music: :Thumbs Up

Finally! I was beginning to worry that I pushed you the wrong way - coercing you into getting the studs instead of the bolts:sorry:

The disturbance in the force has been great. Achieve balance soon, you will. In this endeavour, successful you will be. (using best Yoda voice...):D

Mark

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
studs installed.

well i got them in and torqued down tonight. one wierd thing. i found out that the two heads on my truck (formerly from my spare engine) are different castings. on one side, the casting is more or less flush with the top of the exhaust manifold where the bottom row of studs pokes thru the head. on the other side, the casting is raised, to the point that it seems like there should be longer bolts to go in those 4 holes. when i installed the studs, i ended up having probably little more than 1/2 inch on threads sticking into the block, so that i could get a washer and nut (minus 1 thread) on the other end of the stud. it seemed like i needed longer studs for those 4 holes, but the regular length studs torqued to 85 ft lbs OK.

i wonder what's up with that :confused:

Warwagon

Reaction score
HUH???
Only 1/2" of block penetration on 4 of the studs - am I reading this right?? Did you check out Warden's website where he does a comparison of the stud/bolt lengths? I KNOW my bolts went into the block by more than 1/2". I'm wondering if you got shipped the right studs now.:***: OR one of your heads is from and I/H truck or bus or something... Did you compare the stud lengths to the old bolts that came out of cop's engine? Usually the thread engagement MINIMUM depth for studs is 1.5x the diameter of the fastener (1.5"x7/16= 0.656"). I'm sure you have way more depth than that for the threaded hole in your block. Unless someone has done some MAJOR machinework on the deck height while goofing with the bottom end - which is unlikely??? After all of the time and $ into that engine, I know I'd be ;Pissed Hope it holds for you in the long run partner.
Mark

aaklingler

Reaction score
could it be a 7.3 head, i don't know the differences between them but i know they take a longer stud, was the diameter of the holes bigger?

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Re: studs installed.

Originally posted by 69oiler
... i found out that the two heads on my truck (formerly from my spare engine) are different castings. on one side, the casting is more or less flush with the top of the exhaust manifold where the bottom row of studs pokes thru the head. on the other side, the casting is raised, to the point that it seems like there should be longer bolts to go in those 4 holes. ...

Ya that is really weird. Are the bolts that held these heads to your spare engine all the same length? :confused:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rob, we need pictures! He used two heads that he had on hand that came from another 6.9, so we know they are not 7.3 heads, but this is a question that needs an explaination I think before we go any futher.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
yes the holes in the heads are the same size.

i almost have it back together. all that's left are the accessories and radiator. should be running tomorrow.:rock:

all the old head bolts were the same length on Cops (my spare) engine. i triple checked. that engine had a bad rocker arm, not a bad head gasket. Mel do you know how long (how many miles) were those heads on that engine? i had assumed they were original.

i guess we'll find out if 1/2" is enough purchase. i would expect the threads to strip out when i installed them if they were going to. they felt as solid as all the others when i torqued them.

Mark, it may be 9/16" or 5/8", my carpenter's eye says probably no more than 9/16" but i did not measure. by your formula i would be pushing the envelope for sure.

i will try to get some digital pics tomorrow.

fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online