Head stud update.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have an intercooler?
Good luck

At anything over 12 psi you damn sure need an intercooler. I have a melted down, cracked block BMW engine at home to prove it.(bad judgement on my part I know) Intake air temps get too high when compressed much beyond 7 psi. Over about 12 you lose any gain from boost as additional heat. I would recommend an IAT as well as an EGT on any heavily boosted engine.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok guys I got the studs in may hands and I am trying to post the pics. I just need to upload them and post. Looking good hopefully my buddy can DL the pics for me and you guys can have a looksy.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
At anything over 12 psi you damn sure need an intercooler. I have a melted down, cracked block BMW engine at home to prove it.(bad judgement on my part I know) Intake air temps get too high when compressed much beyond 7 psi. Over about 12 you lose any gain from boost as additional heat. I would recommend an IAT as well as an EGT on any heavily boosted engine.

That depends on your turbo weather 12 psi is out of the turbos map then it will heat the air much more but the 94-97 pSD's stock put out 17-20 psi and no intercooler

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So... Did I miss the stud testing psi or what? I'm really interested in how these studs tested out being a cut thread and not a rolled thread. Joejohn??? Any updates coming soon???:dunno

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
diesel turbo and gas turbo are two completly different monsters. safest boost level with pump gas (93) is 17-18psi depending on how your motor is tuned. ive seen 90+ psi on "pump" diesels before. (aftermarket twins and lots of other upgraded stuff obviously)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online