has anyone tried this

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Search feature;Sweet
What he said.

Short version is, the only medium-duty tranny I've ever seen in an '80-'96 Ford was in an F-350 that the owner had swapped a Cummins 8.3l C-series into. He needed to do a body lift to fit both the engine and the tranny. Beyond that...do a search; it's been discussed before, but IIRC the general consensus is that the tranny's heavy enough, and has enough parasitic loss from spinning the heavy internals, that you wouldn't really gain anything. You'd have more gears to play with, but wouldn't get as much power to the rear wheels...

trapper

Boom Boom
Reaction score
well on the idi without the adapter plate has the pattern to bolt on an sae plate for the trans, i have seen alot of cummins 5.9 with the sae plate and a 7-10 speeds on them

88IDImattman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would so like to have a 10 speed in my dually i wonder what kind of MPG's you could get on the HWY ....think we could break into the mid 20's ??

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
has anyone put a 10speed or something nuts in these trucks?

To answer that... yes, I have a 3 speed 5831b spicer brownie out of an old semi truck mounted behind my zf5, so I've got 15 forward and 3 reverse, it works out as basically 5 deep reduction gears and then an in between gear for each whole gear on the main box plus a double overdrive

Running empty it brought my fuel mileage up to 18-20 , this is a crew cab that weighs 8550 empty ( I've got a heavy custom bed ) with 4.10 rear end. Best before was about 14mpg. I can even get that much towing heavy sometimes now depending on which trailer I have hooked up due to having just the right gear combination.

88IDImattman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think i may look around an try an find the right bell housing for my 7.3 an then find a 10 speed i kind of like the idea

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
i think i may look around an try an find the right bell housing for my 7.3 an then find a 10 speed i kind of like the idea

Not just any 10 speed. You want to make sure to use a single countershaft 10 speed . A dual countershaft box will have way too much parisitic HP loss, plus it will be too dang heavy. HEavy duty boxes will work fine, but you have to use ones that are single countershaft., and do remember a 10 speed will not have synchros so you will have to learn how to shift with teh rpms and double clutch the thing or float the gears.
If your shifting skils aren't quite up to that level, then you might consider looking at a 7 speed ez shift, it's a 7 speed fully synchronized box. Gives a very nice spread of gears.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the Brownie and a GV give you a double overdrive. A 10 speed may give you the gear split you need to tow effectively but lack the final OD ratio you need for optimal empty highway mileage.

I am a huge fan of the brownie and the GV setup, especially with the zf 5 speed and 4.10's. Nothing like being able to pull a house and get 20 mpg's empty.:sly

88IDImattman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RLDSL im pretty good at floating gears ..lol.....but i had not thought about the single shaft thing at all .....i would really like to figure somthing like this out i dont mind doing some shifting at all if i can get into the mid 20's an the mid to high teens towing .....some say im dreaming but without dreams an imagination how do new kool things get built right....so does anyone make the bell housing an adapter to mount the trans to get this thing rolling i would love to give it a go

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajuka

Members online