Hard to start and bad mileage

wayfarnorth

Reaction score
For a while now everytime I go to start the truck I have to press the "gas" pedal down just a bit for the truck to start, hot/cold, doesn't matter. On my last trip outta town besides the tranny exploding at 130 km/hr my mileage went way down. I noticed it after the tranny was replaced (clutch was to). What used to take just under 1/2 tank took almost 3/4. I wasn't driving any different than normal. It still pulls strong or it did last time I pulled anything. I was thinking one cylinder might be bad or the injectors are on the way out?

Whit

Reaction score
clean the inlet screan to yer pump and also while yer there go ahead and replace the rubber hose from the steel fuel line to the pump to insure yer not getting any air...............................change the fuel filter too

start here to eliminate the obvious

wayfarnorth

Reaction score
I assume you're refering to the injector pump. I have replaced the fuel filter and it didn't help. The old filter was nice and clean.

dodgeman01

TOWN DRUNK
Reaction score
have you chevked your fuel pressure? lift pump could be bad or the overflow valve could be bad.
DM01

FordCummins

Reaction score
Fuel shut down solenoid wacked and not open all the way....Turn the key on then pull up on it and see if it moves or starts easier afterwards.

Whitmore is talking about the prefilter which is about a 2" diameter mesh screen inside a small housing located below the main filter and towards the front just a bit - Here is a picture http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/Facts/figures/12Ve_locations-l.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online