hard to start after running for a while no wait to start light

haus4205

Reaction score
my 94 idit starts fast in the morning o in winter time but for some reaseon in the summer time when its ubove 70 outside and if i drive it for a while and stop and grab something from a store and go back out after about 5 or 10 minutes the complete glow plug system does not work and its hard to start it take about 3 trys to get it started but if the wts light works it starts fine

FordGuy100

Reaction score
When the engine is warm, it does not need glow plugs to start. I find even on cold days (say 30*) if I start and run it for 1 minute, it should start for the next 10 minutes without glow plugs because of the residual heat in the cylinder. Once up to temp, it should start easily for a couple hours at a minimum.

I would suspect the IP is going.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I suspect that since the glow plug light comes on, it was because the engine wasn't fully up to operating temp. The IP gets heat soaked and that's what causes the hard hot starts. So the shorter trip doesn't allow the IP to get heat soaked as much.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Turning the fuel up probably wouldn't help. When the IP starts to go, the heat soak makes tolerances too tight to allow it to start. I had the same issue on my old 93 and installed a baby moose in it at the 2009 rally.. She ran awesome after that!

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am experincing your same problem. I just leave mine running evrywhere I go until I can get my IP replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86