Hard starting when it's 80 degrees outside

jetfly12

Reaction score
When the truck has been sitting overnight, I let the glow plugs heat up for 10 seconds with a manual override momentarily switch, start cranking and I see raw fuel out the exhaust 2 seconds into cranking and it's so hard to start, it takes about 20 30 seconds of cranking. So I plug in the block heater for about a half hour, after its been sitting overnight, and 3 seconds on with the glow plugs, she starts right up. I may have somehow accidentally shorted out the glow plug relay and had the plugs burning hot for 3-4 minutes while I was removing the turbo and it has never has started right up since then. Before I go spend money on Motorcraft plugs, I want somebody to confirm that the plugs is the culprit? I am surprised it won't start without help of plugs when it's 80 degrees outside, and I garuntee there are no air intrusions, as I went over everything precisely.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the block heater fixes things then the plugs are likely your issue. Have you tested the glow plugs to see if their bad? Test light with alligator clip on positive battery terminal, touch probe to tip of glow plug with wire disconnected and see if it lights up the test light. If it doesn't it can't ground and the glow plug is bad.

jetfly12

Reaction score
If the block heater fixes things then the plugs are likely your issue. Have you tested the glow plugs to see if their bad? Test light with alligator clip on positive battery terminal, touch probe to tip of glow plug with wire disconnected and see if it lights up the test light. If it doesn't it can't ground and the glow plug is bad.

It indeed was the glow plugs! I figured i could check for continuity in lieu of a test light and all had none. I must of fried them! Thanks for your quick response. I will delete this thread in about an hour to clear up the listing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online

No members online now.