hard starting mechanical 6.5

Black dawg

Reaction score
cranks fast, starts blowing lots of white smoke almost right away . cranks good but wont quite catch till after about 10 seconds or so. glow plugs draw 15 amps each (11g), tested at glow plug and moving the timing up makes no difference. started having the problem shortly after putting in some used injectors that I tested and were very good. am I overlooking something with these injectors?

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Does it do this hot and cold or just one or the other? Might be that the injectors weren't as good as you though?:dunno

Black dawg

Reaction score
96 motor with 6.2 mechanical pump banks turbo in 89 burb . first cold start of the day

Black dawg

Reaction score
forgot to ad no smoke once it starts and clears out. runs very good seems too quiet though

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Sounds like the timing needs bumped up. Loosen the 3 IP hold down nuts and rotate the top of the pump 1/16" towards the drivers side.

Black dawg

Reaction score
pump wont go any farther. sounds normal revved up or under load, just seems a little quiete idling

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any news on this problem? been watchin the thread for a while but i would like to know what it was.

my bet is that its not getting enough fuel, either a weak pump or weak injectors

the whole quiet while idling thing has me very curious:popcorn

p.s. your the first ever owner of a 6.5 to have quiet idle:confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online