HARD START....ODD.....

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The old Ford wasn't plugged in last night, it was about -10C or so....Normally if fires up with ease even when not plugged in but it was a ***** this morning....Kicked and farted, belched black smoke and it took some cranking to get it going. I'm down to 1/4 tank of fuel on both tanks. I ohm'd out my GP'-s, all under .5ohms....No visable fuel leaks....I did find a slightly wet hose on the rocker arm pump inlet so I changed it...Other than that I don't know what caused it. I've noticed for the last week or so it's cranked a little longer than normal when starting it cold wether it was plugged in or not.:dunno I got a deal on a NIB rocker arm pump and a rebuilt starter for $70 to pick up Monday. The truck fired right up after I changed the hose but it was in the warm garage all day.

One a somewhat bad note, I think I have a GP with a swelled tip....The 2nd from the rear on the pass side is coming out kinda stiff, not really hard but along stiffer than the other's did....I like to take them out to test them so I know they will come out....I didn't push the issue and left it in for another day.:rolleyes:

sassyrel

Reaction score
believe he means the lift pump--right front lower block--also known commonly as fuel pump---called lift pump cause the ip is called the fuel pump--cornfusing,no????

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
i haven't been able to plug in my truck at all this winter. coldest it got was around 25 below. the starting you are noticing is normal as far as i can see. crank, fire on three cylinders, lope till it builds heat, listen to the rest of the cylinders come "online" one at a time. my friends at work all hang out and listen to it, "come alive", as they say. the fence that i park next to has a soot spot about a foot and a half across on it. i have new injectors for it but i also have an engine at the shop right now that i'm thinking about putting them in with a moose pump to push them.;Sweet. i'm thinking that will fix some of my issues(with my truck, that is)
chris

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
This wasn't normal for my truck, I've seen it start at -15C with no fuss, a couple of bangs and it's alive. Yesterday was wierd, it was really ignorant and it took alot of cranking to get it to start. It's never done that to me before. My Exide batteries are old, they tested ok back in the fall when I put the CAT analyzer on them (85%/89%) but maybe another winter has taken a tol on them....I think a little more cranking speed might have been all that was needed. Two new 1000CCA CAT batteries going in for next fall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel