Greetings

GreenDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow Oilburners!

This place has proved to be a useful utility in the somewhat recent purchase of my 1994 F250. thanks!;Sweet

I've wanted a diesel for a long time and I needed a pickup so I jumped at the chance when I found my truck with 71xxx original miles!:D

It has some dings and dents but everything is mechanically sound, I have replaced all the injector o-rings and the factory return lines, 8 new Beru glowplugs, put a new fuel filer on, changed the oil and she starts and runs like new.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

One think I have noticed is if forget to "wait to start". than the load on the batts from the GP's is such that the engine will not start(not cranking fast enough?) Is this fairly normal, or should I trickle charge for a bit, maybe even consider new batts?

It has dual interstates, dated '08 I think, Its starts up everytime, but I did drain them down once when I had air intrusion, after bit of cranking.

thanks in advance :hail

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I like the clamp on the air filters housing LOL. Not mocking you that would be something I would do in a jam. I would drill it out and run a nut and bolt through it though just for peace of mind.

GreenDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea I have been meaning to do something about that broken stud(broken when I bought it), Its a shame its cast into the intake piece. I'm working on a more permanent solution, prob drilling it out like you said.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
if you could check the voltage at the batteries while cranking that would tell us more about where the problem is. do any of the cables get hot at the ends? could be batteries are old (they are) and going out or the cables or connections themselves. could also be the starter dying, they pull much more current when they start going out.

nice truck and clamp by the way;Poke:D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Nice looking truck too. About the slow cranking. A battery check is the first thing to do. Then make sure the connections are clean and the cables have no corrosion on them. About the starter. It could be the owner has worn it out by long cranking because of air intrusion issues. It may also be a direct drive and just turns the engine slower. A DB gear reduction starter found on Ebay is my suggeastion if your starter is worn out. Several members here have them with great results and long life..

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One think I have noticed is if forget to "wait to start". than the load on the batts from the GP's is such that the engine will not start(not cranking fast enough?) Is this fairly normal, or should I trickle charge for a bit, maybe even consider new batts?

Having trouble understanding this, but I think you mean that you have trouble starting the truck if you forget to wait until after the "wait to start" light goes off?

Assuming I read that right, I'd not worry as long as it cranks fine after the light goes off. You're putting 2 big loads on the batteries at the same time, and, no the truck is not going to start if the WTS light is still on, because the plugs aren't hot enough.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to have you at OB. Nice rig. Factory turbo IDI's are sweet. The batteries may be done for if you don't have enough power to crank the engine when the glow plugs cycle. Three years isn't bad for a set of batteries, but I suspect too that the PO put them in an early grave starting the truck with an air/fuel leak issue.

Heath

Last edited:

GreenDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea thats kinda what I figured, I think Ill have the guys at Advance do a load test on the batts next time I'm around there.