GP afterglow this similar to spraying starting fluid on the GP's

mcbg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My GP controller will keep cycling the GP's after the engine has started isnt this kinda like spraying starting fluid?
--or is it the fluid thats harmful? if so would it be ok to use aerosol diesel to start?

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Problem with starting fluid is if it hits the glow plugs at the wrong time it could cause the piston to push down and turn the engine backwards. The after glow of the controller is to keep smoke to a minimal. Reason its not a problem is because even if the fuel hits them while their hot it entering right when needed not before.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
little off subject, but i remember my 6 cyl nissan diesel that was in the scout didn't cycle the plugs, just push button then start, it SMOKED terrible for about the first minute cackling and fighting itself. LOL

-Jon

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My GP controller will keep cycling the GP's after the engine has started isnt this kinda like spraying starting fluid?
--or is it the fluid thats harmful? if so would it be ok to use aerosol diesel to start?

I use WD-40 for starting fluid. It works fine and isn't as anywhere near as volatile as the "White Death" ether starting fluid. If I'm in real cold weather w/o a place to plug in the Block Heater and am in fear of depleting the Batteries, I use a bit of Gasoline on a really Big Rag and hold it over the intake to let the engine breathe the vapors. Wool sweaters and blankets work about right. Something big enough that you wont loose it into the engine.
If Ether hits a hot glow plug it will fire off immediately while the intake valve is open and then blow back through your intake manifold and, if you have a Turbo, it will send the impellers places they have never been. Not good. Use Ether ONLY if the GP's are disabled.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't ever been able to successfully use WD-40 to start a diesel, I know they changed the propellant in it a few years back, but, I've never had luck with it.

As for the after glow, it causes absolutely zero harm to the engine as it's just adding heat to the cylinders to bring up combustion temps and make the engine run clean, not adding a more volatile, easier to ignite fuel like Ether. My Dodge cycles the grid heaters after startup for the same reason.
With my 6.9, below about -30, I just skip the glows and use ether, need all the battery power to spin it over, even plugged in.

IHDiesel445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The purpose of the afterglow is twofold.

1. Reduces emissions of white smoke (unburned fuel) that can happen for the first few seconds after startup (especially when it's cold out).

2. Smooth out the idle which can be rough until combustion chambers heat up (again, only for the first 10-15 seconds after startup).

I cannot stress enough DO NOT use ether on ANY diesel engine with glow plugs (unless they have been disabled). In my former life as a mechanic, I have seen TWO tractors (a Kubota and a New Holland) with broken crankshafts and bent rods because someone used starting fluid on a cold morning. Fix your glow plugs or use your block heater if it's cold. It's much cheaper in the long run.

The block heater is my personal favorite. That way you've got heat as soon as you get in the truck!

-Eric

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin

Staff online

Members online