Got gauges!!! Now what should they read?

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
Finally picked up the truck from the mechanic (94 IDI) and the gauges are installed. Got the pyro,trans temp, and boost on the windshield pod. Got the oil press., and engine temp in little idividual cannisters on the steering column. (oil press kinda blocks the fuel guage) my mistake though, he put 'em where I told him to.
Anyway here's what I got on the 1st cruise once the engine warmed up. No load, just the empty truck.

pyro seems to run around 500 to 600 but WFO went to just past 1200!!!

boost got up to 7 lbs

The others were normal, and I knew what to expect from them.
I would like to gain some boost, but there is no black smoke under acceleration. I understand the boost comes up with more fuel, but wont the EGTs as well? Is the 1100 to 1200 range normal in the manifold under hard acceleration? It falls to 800 about as fast as I take my foot out. And then slowly goes back to 600 or so. I use this truck to pull heavy equipment (backhoe, etc ) as well as it is my daily driver. I don't want to do anything to hurt it, but would like some more power (go figure!) Sooooooooo, what should I do?
Thanks
Chuck

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Is it a factory turbo motor? If so have you upgraded the downpipe?

7 psi sounds low, but for a stock system, with a stock tuned pumped, it might be about right. If I were you, I would get a new downpipe, and cut the muffler out of the thing. That would probably lower the EGT's at least 100*, maybe even more. So if you do this, you can turn up the fuel, and get more boost.

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
Thanks Justin,
The truck is in my sig., but it is a factory turbo F350 CC E40D DRW. I don't know if the down pipe has been replaced, but there is no muffler. The turbo was just replaced with a stock unit, and I just had a Ford re-man trans installed. So I am a little nervous about heat. (It kinda killed the orig trans) and the truck has about 120k miles. I had a new (Ford) radiator installed right behind the trans replacement.
So, what I am trying to determine is; what is normal operating temp inside the exhaust manifold under hard acceleration or while pulling a heavy (15k to 20k lb) load?
Is it normal for the pyro to move almost as quickly as a tach? The probe is in the manifold on the right side toward the rear of the manifold. it could be directly in front of an exhaust port. The mech. went through the fender well, pulled the skirt down and drilled into one of several round flat (dime sized) raised things there.
If I'm leaving anything out, ask and I will of course respond.
I'm after more power (truck will not hang any where close to my PSD's) and I read on here that they (IDI's) will. And I don't want to burn it up with too much fuel, hence the guages before any perfomance mods are to be done.
So please advise.
Thanks,
Chuck

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your useing the stock air duct and exhaust your pyro will climb fast. I have mine in the downpipe, so I never got a comparison between stock DP and the Banks I have. I did get to see the difference when I made my Cowl air intake. Long story short, as long as your not running over the 1200 mark and the trans stays below 220, your truck will live a long happy life. By the way, my pump is maxed out and I have never seen over 900 towing heavy, but like I said my probe is in the DP.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll have to do some more mods just to make the IDI hang with a STOCK PSD, any light mods and the PSD is probably unattainable for an IDI unless you want to make it a toy(not really streetable). To make that IDI the best it can be, you want a real downpipe($70.00 from ATS) it is 3" and not flattened at all. then you'll want at least a 3" exhaust with no muffler( I thjink you said you already have that) then make a homemade cold air intake or just buy the one from Hypermax for $60.00 After that you can buy one of Mel's Moose Pumps or a DPS turbo cal pump, then you will about double your boost. I bet it will be mighty close if not better than a stock 94-97 PSD.

SKimballC

Reaction score
You have to install the 3" exhaust housing which is $280 to be able to use the 3" downpipe on the factory turbos just so you know.

caterpillar

Reaction score
900* on the DP is kinda high isn't it? I have my probe right at the number 8 cylinder, never seen it over 1100 and it takes a big long hill to get to 1100 hauling a fifth wheel and JD4020

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
I dunno! Those are the readings I'm gettin'. It's got me a little concerned.
Chuck

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
my pryo is in the drivers manifold(stock set up) and under hard accel i can hit 1150 QUICK!!!!!! allways comes right down when i lift my foot. cruizing at 70 i'll run 850 all day long, 75 and i'll run 9's, climbs up to around 1175 on a loooooong hill with cruise control on and still in 5th gear. i know in my buddies 01 power smoke,factory turbo, i can hit 1250 pulling out of the driveway
chris

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have my pyro in the Banks location (preturbo on the turbine inlet housing) and My max EGT was 900 with the truck (empty) at WFO with the wastegate disabled running 10 psi of boost. I don't know why you EGT's are as high as they are. I'm have the opposite situation. I'm using DPS Stage 1 IP and injectors which provide quite a bit more fuel than the stock pump at max. I never have EGT issues and rarely see more than 650 on the pyro. My boost with the wastegate rod as short as possible will get me max of 8-9 psi at WFO.:dunno I'd like to see more boost as my EGT's are lower than the norm.cookoo I thought about turning up the DPS pump a bit, but it will smoke at WFO at the present. I dunno.

Heath

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
Is it possible that some gauges give different readings? Could it be the gauge? Should I move the probe? I'm not the diesel expert that I wish I were, but as I understand it the EGT's are higher with more fuel. If this is the case, I'm confused by the fact that I don't have any grey or black (or any color) smoke under normal or hard acceleration. I'm halfway afraid to use the truck to pull a load. The whole thing has me more uneasy than I was BEFORE I put the gauges in!

Chuck

pafixitman

Reaction score
Ignorance can be bliss.

For what it's worth....My pyro is in the Y pipe, 3" down from the driver side manifold. I can hit 1100* w/o blinking an eye. Pulling the 5'r and I can hit 12 + easy. That is with only 7.5 lbs of boost on a factory ATS turbo, with the upgraded housing, elbow and downpipe. Pump is turned up a bit and injectors are stock. I have 3" exhaust into a Banks / Dynomax muffler exiting in a 3 1/2" powerstroke tail pipe. My gauge is ISSPRO. My tranny turns upward of 220* w/ a larger pan and dual B&M plate coolers.

To answer the simple question, yes, I firmly believe there is a difference in gauges. Do I still try to stay under 1100? You bet.