Got a 1994 7.3 IDI factory turbo

Nazty 4x4

Reaction score
got a 1994 7.3L idi w/ factory ford turbo. How do you get power out of these things.

Who sells airfilter or air intake kits for these?
im going to straight pipe it and get a pyro gauge.
Now what mods to the pump or aftermarket products will help this truck come alive?

any help would be great. new to these idi's
also have 1996 powerstroke with a long list of mods.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get gauges! Upgrade the downpipe- ATS or Banks, 4" exhaust, Get rid of the OEM air duct. Turn Up fuel. Shorten wastegate rod for more boost.

Thats a good start.
If you have an auto: Get the biggest cooler you can and a temp gauge. Deeper pan(one from a 4R100 works) Keep the fluid cool and change it 15-25K

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations and welcome to the site. Please take a few minutes to read our FAQ's at the top of the forum and gloss over the technical articles. If nothing else, that info may help you ask more informed questions. ;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bad news is it'll never keep up with your modified PSD. The good news is if you can get rid of that flattened downpipe and ATS' crappy 2.5" exhaust flange you can get more out of it. Zigg has an article on turning up the fuel. Shortening the wastegate? I have no idea...my turbo is non gated. Others here know what they're talking about. Basically, it needs to make 10-12psi. Anything more than that is asking for head gasket problems or maybe other problems without studs. Much more than 12-13 some of our more knowledgeable members say is wasted on a non intercooled engine anyway. By the way and intercooler and turbo is probably the best mod for one of these trucks but it requires you to be pretty handy or willing to drop $1100 or so for a hypermax kit. Of course you know from your PSD experience that a pyro and boost gauge are your lifelines. Ya gotta have them, especially the pyro.

Nazty 4x4

Reaction score
Yea im not looking for a rocket ship. It is a 1994 f250 ext cab 8ft, w/ 190,000 and the original tranny(i know, i know) but im the 3rd owner and it was well taken care of. It is rust free(which is a little hard to find around here) and it was in mint condtion until the prevoius owner put it into a ditch a couple weeks ago. Needs a front clip and windshield, no rad or condenser problems.
It has a 4" lift and 33's. I dont like the ttb, so i picked up a front king pin 60 and a reverse shackle kit from sky. paid $1100 for the truck, i thought that was a hell of a deal!!! Needs about a $1000 front end work.
Plans are 4" springs + 3" reverse shackle kit=7" lift 35's. exhaust, air intake, gauges and fuel

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Dang man, that is one hell of a price for a factory turbo truck. With 7" of lift you should be able to fit bigger than 35's, I mean I have no lift and I'm running 33's.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site...check out the FAQ's use the SEARCH function on the top and you'll find tons of info, as it works well

Sounds like it's a nice ride ...how do you like the SKY kit? I am considering one for my Bronco...

That with 8"lift springs and 3"body ought to be nuff for 46" tires or larger...

benwill1

94Ecabfaciditrb4x4
Reaction score
Check the timming also. Mine was off and it didn't look like the bolts on the pump had ever been touched(factory paint). A little off makes a LOT of differance. I think you got a steal of a price!!

Nazty 4x4

Reaction score
What is a good starting pump for the pump screw?(how many turns and clockwise or counter clockwise).
How many turns for the waste gate and which way.
nothing crazy, just alittle umph.
I have to do the glow plugs, so i figured id turn the screw up alittle while im in there.
have straight pipe and stock intake

by the way ended up putting a front 60 in w/ sky 3" reverse shackle kit and stock 87 diesel springs. it ended up being like 4" higher then a stock f250 diesel.

and 315/75r16 bfg a/t's w/ 4.10 gears.
havnt driven it yet still under construction

Nazty 4x4

Reaction score
pulled the plate off the side of the pump on the pass side( 2 little bolts and a gasket) i was told by a friend that the allen is under that. i didnt see an allen screw and i turned the motor over a few times, still didnt see anything.
am i in the wrong spot?
thanks
like i said before im new to these idi's

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are in the right spot. How are you turning it over? Do it slowly by hand so you can control where the engine stops. Good luck.