Got a 1994 7.3 IDI factory turbo

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The factory Ford (Garret) turbo is a very small unit IMO. I compared the rated HP on the 93 and 90 in my sig. The turbo is only rated for 5hp more than the NA cookoo

The fuel screw takes some time to find. I was turning the engine over slowly by hand while my buddy was in there with a small mirror. The adjustment is small. Like 1/6, 1/4, or 1/3 turn. We did 1/4 turn and will be getting a pyro for the truck very soon.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The factory Ford (Garret) turbo is a very small unit IMO. I compared the rated HP on the 93 and 90 in my sig. The turbo is only rated for 5hp more than the NA cookoo
Don't let the advertised numbers fool you.
There's a political and marketing reason for the low numbers. With the PSD right around the corner, Ford could not rate the IDI higher or PSDs wouldn't sell. Numbers also don't tell when the power trully comes on and IF the power is in a usable range in the RPM's. Each truck is a little different in when the power kicks in. Mine come on around 1500 RPM and doesn't let up until I am bouncing off the governor.('92 f350, ZF5, 4.10rear). In comparison, my company issued f450('97psd, zf5, 5.13rear) has no guts whatsoever below 2500rpm and hits the governor at 3300rpm. Your results will be different. but the same holds true, numbers don't tell all.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah there rating system sucks IMHO. Basically Ford choked off the turbo IDI's, so that there new PSD's would sell good, they were just experimenting with turbo's on there diesels. I also heard somewhere that Ford actaully took the high altitude motors and put the turbo's on them, that might be wrong though. Put on a bigger ATS housing and 3" downpipe, turn up the fuel some, and that 5hp increase will be more like 25hp over a N/A IDI, at the least.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TC4305 Garrett Turbo

That turbo is factory for the IDI 7.3L. ATS uses same, but has bigger turbine housing.

That turbo is actually a T4 on compressor side, T3 on turbine side.

The compressor is a TO4B-H

The turbine has a stage3 size turbine wheel. tiny!

The little compressor can actually flow almost what a stock TP38 can.

But for you makeing not much boost, guesing 10-14, can get as much as 650cfm from it.

On your T3 turbine, the .82 is biggest made from garrett, a 1.0 is availible, but through only Banks or ATS.

I would find T4 turbine section and install on your compressor.

If anyone is interested the part # for the compressor wheel from Garrett is 409825-0015. I checked it with the housing and it is a perfect match.

If you get to looking, you'll see big shaft, standard shaft, and letter trims for wheels. You are looking for a p
trim standard shaft turbine. Should be able to snatch one up on ebay for cheap.

The rebuild kit is also a Garrett item. Part number for it is 468100-0000. It came with seals, bushings, new bolts, snap ring, and what looks to me like a thrust plate and shims.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got to Webshots.com or Photobucket.com and create an account for yourself. Post your pictures there, then use the provided links on the picture pages for "posting in a forum". Just copy and paste the links into your reply editor here and they will show up fine.

'94-Turbo-444

Reaction score
hey everyone, i know this thread is a little old but i was just wondering if anyone would be willing to help me? im trying to get my hands on a decent set of injectors, glow plugs, glow plug controller, and a factory garret turbo for my 1994 Turbo idi, i just got it as a project for $750 and my budget is very low. i had no idea the turbo is cooked... :dunno
Thanks!

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey everyone, i know this thread is a little old but i was just wondering if anyone would be willing to help me? im trying to get my hands on a decent set of injectors, glow plugs, glow plug controller, and a factory garret turbo for my 1994 Turbo idi, i just got it as a project for $750 and my budget is very low. i had no idea the turbo is cooked... :dunno
Thanks!

you're certain that it needs all of this stuff?