Good news and bad news...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't remember if I posted about any of this before, but my 300SD's been in a coma ever since early last September. She had been getting increasingly difficult to start, so I finally took a look at the glow plug system, only to discover that, when the previous owner did an engine swap, he Frankenstein'ed the glow plug system badly enough that there was really nothing to do but pull it all out and install an intact system out of a junked car. I ended up upgrading, and using a Fast-Start system out of an '83 or '84 car. Work was so busy that I didn't have a chance to do anything until November (all the while, using the IDI as my daily driver), but, after getting it set up and working, I found that air had somehow leaked into the fuel system, to the point where the injector pump was practically dry.

So, on the rare time when I would have a chance to work on the car since, I've been trying to purge the air out of the system...ended up replacing a bad hand primer pump, and doing a lot of pumping and cranking. And, today, she finally lit off! The cloud of black smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe was rather impressive ;Sweet and, once she cleared her throat, the engine seems to be running beautifully now.

Now, for the bad news...I went driving around and ran some errands with the car. I went to back out of a space in a grocery store parking lot, and the car wouldn't move. Tried revving the engine for a minute or so, and still, nothing. I was on a slight incline, so I released the brakes and the car rolled slowly back (in Neutral), and I shifted into Drive and she went along on her merry way.

So, no Reverse. She's been slow to go into Reverse ever since I got the car...I'd shift into gear and it would take between 2 and 5 seconds to engage. towcat once told me that it's a sticky valve in the valve body, and I guess that maybe it's stuck now to the point where it won't move at all? Fluid's fine (if anything, it's overfilled...I think the torque converter may have partially drained and hasn't fully refilled yet), and she drives perfectly in Drive...

This is just frustrating... -cuss I'm trying not to pour too much $$ into this car (I'm planning to buy a new car later this year, to replace the 116), so if the tranny needs to be rebuilt, she's getting parted out...

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Warden,

I'm sorry you are having these problems. I don't know what causes the "no reverse" problem, but have one suggestion. Have you checked the shift linkage underneath the floorpan? They used plastic bushings in the linkage, which can fail. It may be responsible for your tranny not quite being in the gear you think you selected. As far as the slow shift, I have the same problem on the '87 300D. Towcat's buddy MBZ mechanic said they designed them that way on purpose. Another MBZ mechanic I know said it's worn bands. I don't know what to think, but as long as it continues to work, I've got other projects to work on.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Monte!

Have you checked the shift linkage underneath the floorpan? They used plastic bushings in the linkage, which can fail. It may be responsible for your tranny not quite being in the gear you think you selected.
I haven't checked the linkage. That's something to consider...on the other hand, if a bushing had failed, would I have problems in Neutral and Drive as well? Every other gear seems to work as normal, and the gearshift lever still feels the same...

As far as the slow shift, I have the same problem on the '87 300D. Towcat's buddy MBZ mechanic said they designed them that way on purpose. Another MBZ mechanic I know said it's worn bands. I don't know what to think, but as long as it continues to work, I've got other projects to work on.
I hear that, re: other projects...that's what I was thinking, as well. Actually, now that you say it, I think towcat was talking about a worn band, not a valve. CRS is sinking in rather early with me :Q I'm kinda thinking that the band may have worn to the point where it won't engage at all...I'm hoping that it can still be adjusted. Need to talk to towcat about taking care of it when both he and I have time (HAH! when's that going to happen?).

At least the projected October release of the new TDI gives me time to save up a hefty down-payment ;Sweet

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know why it's shifting into all the gears except one. It's cheap to check the linkage, though, and cheap to buy new bushings if required. Bands are another matter...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite true...I just need to take the time to climb under the car...

FWIW, I drove her today, and the engine's still running happily. No reverse still, but the tranny seems happy otherwise...

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having no reverse poses some interesting parking problems I bet. You could always put smaller tires on the rear, so that when you want to back up, you'll be headed downhill...:rotflmao :rotflmao

79 300sd

Reaction score
lost 2 trans in my 79 300sd in the past 2 years, both because of reverse. I haven't gotten around to rebuilding either of them yet. Just put in a 722.3 and later model motor a couple of months ago. Quite a bit of grinding and fab work to make clearance for the rear of the oil pan. Didn't realize there was so much difference in the oil pans and couldn't use the old cracked one.

You might try adjusting the reverse band. I have a 73 450slc that had no reverse and the band adjustment healed it. I should have adjusted the band on the sd, but I wanted the later model engine and trans.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having no reverse poses some interesting parking problems I bet. You could always put smaller tires on the rear, so that when you want to back up, you'll be headed downhill...:rotflmao :rotflmao
:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

FWIW, I came across this...haven't had time to do anything with it, but perhaps there is hope :)

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, it looks like it's worth a try. Good info. My gear engagement hesitation happens in all gears coming out of Park or N. But, at least it goes into gear after a few seconds.