GM coach trans for Brandon

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for an Allison v730 transmission (and parts for an Allison VS2-8). These are v-drive transmissions for counter-rotating Detroit powered GM coaches from t he 60's-70's.

My VS2-8 just suffered a significant failure of the overdrive planetary.

Thanks in advance for any help! Please let me know if ya know with one or parts for sale. I'm near Portland, OR and willing to travel for the right price!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Russ: I've got a V730 I'm gonna scrap out. What parts do you need? The internals have been rebuilt. No pan on it. Been setting out in a trailer. You can have it for shipping, Man there heavy, about 1200 lbs. I used to install them in place of manuals on the 4107 and 4109. Did 14 of them from various States.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lemme find out when the kid gets back from burning man, he found another vs2-8 for the o/d parts and seems to be working, but if the spacer plate is there he wil definalely want that.
we found out there was too much clearance and it wasnt maintaining oil flow/pressure to the od planets.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't have the spacer. If you find one, there are two different kinds. IIRC one uses the flywheel to pump the oil back into the trans, there is a scoop like casting in it and uses a large hose to drain back, the other uses a pump for that purpose. The oil gets in the spacer from lubeing the input gear bearings. If changing from a manual to the Allision you have to change the rear engine main seal to a two way seal or some of the ATF will get into the engine.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it was always a hydraulic trans. he isnt back yet but I will let you know.
thanks.