glowplug controllers

drewdole1

Reaction score
i replaced my glowplugs with the motorcraft beru ones then i replaced my controller with a napa replacement, thats where the problems start. this new style controller only kicks on when the engine is cold. the old controller came on every time turning the wait to start lite on for every start. i want a controller that always turns on. where do i get one ?? this new style doesn t seem like a good idea.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i replaced my glowplugs with the motorcraft beru ones then i replaced my controller with a napa replacement, thats where the problems start. this new style controller only kicks on when the engine is cold. the old controller came on every time turning the wait to start lite on for every start. i want a controller that always turns on. where do i get one ?? this new style doesn t seem like a good idea.

The only time you need the controller to turn on is when the motor is cold, why do you want it to come on every time you start the truck?
All that does is shorten glow plug life, as it is unecessary for starting the truck.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
That's good that it only works when it's cold. The engine doesn't need glow plugs at all when it's warm. So if it doesn't turn on when it's hot, it saves the glow plugs.

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting product and site ofourthreefive. Good feedback and info.

Drew, for what it is worth I've wired my plugs to be manual so they
won't come on every time, reducing wear and tear on glow system.
An IDI in decent shape should not require glow on a warm start.

I know mine starts w/o glow when the mechanical Stuart Warner temp
gauge reads under 100 degrees.

drewdole1

Reaction score
great info guys , my f250 a 93 all stock the glowplugs come on for every start i think i m going to the ebay kit for my 90 f350. does the ford -trucks site have problems cant log on. my f250 turned over 400.000 miles but the 4 didnt didn t turn so it says 300.000 miles instead of 400.000 miles

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about going to a push button glow plug setup also. Is there any reason you would have to get the whole kit cant you just rewire your original controller and get a push button? I was planning on getting the white river diesel push button off of ebay.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about going to a push button glow plug setup also. Is there any reason you would have to get the whole kit cant you just rewire your original controller and get a push button? I was planning on getting the white river diesel push button off of ebay.

No reason to go on ebay, just go to your local autoparts store and get the pushbutton, wire etc.
The switch and wire is only controlling a relay and not the whole glowplug load, so it doesnt need to be anything heavy duty.

drewdole1

Reaction score
i know the wait to start lite doesnt come on when engine is warm, it will start but not so easy, takes a few trys, now the w2 start lite always comes on n my 93 f250 but goes off fast when engine is warm and always starts on first time and has 400 thou miles on it. this is a 90 f350 v belt old style compared to my 93 f250 with less than 200 thou on it. the ebay kit does look good if u got a job. most of the time i just leave the f350 running two or 3 hours at a time when we r working

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you've got issues beyond glow plugs. Check for air intrusion, timing issues, or even fuel system (injectors/return lines/pump). These engines typically light right off after they are warm with no glow needed. The glow plugs are specifically for cold starts.

drewdole1

Reaction score
i have noticed that on the first start of the day i have to keep my foot on the pedel for like 30 seconds of hi idle to keep it going mayb i m loosing the prime, like air intustion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7