Glow plug socket size? 3/8 or 10 mm?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is that he had some 10MM glow plugs. Being told 3/8 and then trying and failing to make the socket work... I can see how someone might get /really/ frustrated.

Personally, I have a 10MM, 6pt deep socket 3/8 drive that's my 'glow plug socket', and I keep it in my kit at all times.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have 10mm GPs, you have the wrong plugs! ;Poke

Your helping me expand my poem.:D

If it's not a Beru,it will not do.
It sure beats pulling the heads and you know it too.
If you use an off brand plug,it would surely be a shame.
However,you will only have yourself to blame.
If it didn't come packaged by Motorcraft,your engine will make a boat anchor for your raft.
If your wise,you'll know it's to be made in Germany and accept a socket,3/8 in size.
If it takes a 10 millimeter instead,you will wish that the previous owner of your truck was dead.
Depending on the year,install a ZD1A or a ZD9 and you'll rest easy,knowing everything will be fine.
Heed the advice by the wise,or it could lead to your engines demise.
For if it's not a Beru,it will not do.

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well now you guys have me curious.The only time I've ever replaced mine was when the trucks were new to me.Now I gotta go check to see what size they are.

Well,I have 1 spare (ZD9) still in the package right here.Gunna run out to the garage with it and see.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Motorcraft/Beru ZD9 glow plug is 100% 3/8 in size.It appears a 10mm will "work" but it's no doubt,much more sloppy than the 3/8.
For a new plug,I can see how a 10mm would probably get you by,however take some age and try cranking a stuck one out,no doubt your risking stripping the thing.Reach for the 3/8 socket (preferably a 6 point too of course,when removing old plugs).

Anyone with a Motorcraft/Beru ZD1A check a 3/8 and a 10mm too?

Last edited:

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sloppy can be nice, especially on a dirty engine with crud covered plugs.doesn't take much to loosen them, I haven't stripped one yet. 6pt is the way to go, but I'm sure I've used 12pt too. Just more risk to stripping. Wobbly bits and a 10mm are your friends especially if you don't want to move or loosen fuel lines.

Now that passthrough sockets are more popular they might be a good way to go too

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot believe this...no one has take a caliper or mic to settle this....w pics for proof....

Pics or it aint fer real

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot believe this...no one has take a caliper or mic to settle this....w pics for proof....

Pics or it aint fer real

OK it's now for real.:D
0.36 in...Explains why a 3/8 socket is snug.
9.3 mm..Explains why a 10mm socket is sloppy.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This necroposter really got butt-hurt over the socket size? Who on earth (who does anything DIY) wouldn't have both SAE and metric anyway? Hell, my tools are in the basement, so when I misjudge a tool size, it's a couple minutes back and forth; I just write it off to being a first world problem.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have 10mm GPs, you have the wrong plugs! ;Poke
I have multiple different brand GPs in my different trucks. I run some Beru/Motorcraft, some Wellman/DieselRX, some Champion.
I have had success with all of them, though I do believe the Beru are more resistant to being overheated/overvolted.
No success with Autolites, however - I've never even seen a working used one.

This necroposter really got butt-hurt over the socket size? Who on earth (who does anything DIY) wouldn't have both SAE and metric anyway? Hell, my tools are in the basement, so when I misjudge a tool size, it's a couple minutes back and forth; I just write it off to being a first world problem.
The problem is that it's not just a 3/8/10MM, it's a deep socket that's required. My $30 Harbor Freight 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" set that is my 'main' socket set* comes with a 3/8 deep socket, but not a 10MM one. It has regular-depth 10MM in both 1/4 and 3/8 drive, though.

My 10MM deep socket I got at a pawn shop, IIRC - it's actually a Craftsman.

(*It's a really solid set for 98% of what I need. I have other sockets that I keep, but it's my go-to kit. And cheap enough that when I lose a few sockets, I can just replace it)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online