gettin an idi 88 f250 sc 4x4 w/ 7.3

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
what do you guys think? im gettin this for an even up swap for my wifes 99 grand am...

1988 F250 Diesel 7.3 liter navstar , 5 speed , PT 4wd, Bosh transfer case?, Dana 50 IFS front axle, Sterling 10.25 rear(3:55 gearing)... 87k miles
Banks Sidewinder Turbo Kit installed at 59k miles, Flowmaster muffler 76k miles ( +/- 275 hp/ 575 ft lbs)
Starter, flywheel, clutch replaced at about 65k miles
Rotors, drums, brakes, calipers, wheel cylinders, front wheel bearings, lock out hubs, batteries, glow plug controller, glow plugs and fluids replaced at 70k
Axles have synthetic gear oil in them, with an additive in the rear for the posi lock
Coolant system flushed, new anitifreeze and anti cavitation addiitive, plus modified fan clutch installed at 75k
New Stanadine injectors and fuel return hoses, and new fuel pump installed at 84k
New tires on front at 83k, back tires have about 15 k on them
Miscellaneous work... new mid ship fuel tank, few u-joints, front axle bearings, R-134 conversion and condenser/ heat coil clean out, new (improved)connector and headlight switch, power steering pump, a few sections of brake line.
The truck has Bronco bucket seats, and a factory plug-in block heater
You can turn up the fuel pump for better performance( do 1/4 turns at a time), however it will increase the amount of unburnt fuel and turbo heat...but don't run the pyrometer above 1000* for long, it can melt the pistons. Fuel Injection Services installed the turbo kit and were the last ones to touch the fuel adjustment. Ideally you want it where it is set, little black smoke and no white.
Hope this is usefull, if you have any questions just ask.

that was a cut past email i got from the guy. the t-case is probably a BW unit 1356 or something similar...

Last edited:

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now that I think about it It seems like alot of stuff to be replaced with only 87thousand miles. sound to me like the odometer has rolled a time or two.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coolant system flushed, new anitifreeze and anti cavitation addiitive, plus modified fan clutch installed at 75k
Yea Id jump on it... not sure what the GA is worth, but if you want the trade, looks like a lower mile Diesel and if your happy with the trade go for it....

Anyone know what the modified fan clutch is all about????

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
now that I think about it It seems like alot of stuff to be replaced with only 87thousand miles. sound to me like the odometer has rolled a time or two.

but if you look at the truck underneith it doesnt look like a high milage truck...the frame is super clean the only rust in some small spots on the frame....the wheel wells are just starting to bubble on the bed....and it needs cab corners. it doesnt have typical PA rust. its got rust that makes it look like its been sitting awhile.

the clutch he explained to me that they used the same clutch fan on the gas engines as they did on the oilburner and that it didnt come on until a higher RPM. and because of the diesel spinning an low rpms it would allow the engine to get warm...not hot but a little higher then he liked.

honestly ive had a few ford trucks from 49-99 the 49 was an F1...the 99 is a 150 but ive had an 83 f150...an 83 f250...and 85 f250...and an 86 f250 and most of my friends have ford trucks...im pretty familier with the chassis and drivetrain and their quirks. im just new to the diesel market.

the grand am is a 99 w/ 103k on it and my wife hates it. its now paid for and she just wants it gone. once im able to sell off my f150 ill be payment free again. the diesel is more of a toy hauler and occasional family wagon. my biggest problem with my F150 is the trailer i picked up is a tad too heavy for it. its not beyond capacity with my samurai on it but its close to the limit. the trailer is a 16' midatlantic equipment trailer (10,000#) and you can deffinitly tell it has some weight to it even empty. but the price was right ($800)

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but if you look at the truck underneith it doesnt look like a high milage truck...the frame is super clean the only rust in some small spots on the frame....the wheel wells are just starting to bubble on the bed....and it needs cab corners. it doesnt have typical PA rust. its got rust that makes it look like its been sitting awhile.

Well I just picked up my first... its a 91 with 390xx miles on it... at first I thought it was 139k, then after inspecting the under carriage(very clean no road grime) looking into the carpet inside(no wear marks) inspecting the pedals for wear and such, It didn't make sense it was 139k unless it was driven on FWY long miles. then the salesman told me it was an older 81yr old gentleman. Knowing that and the fact it had camper tie down mounts on the bed, I came to the conclusion it was a pleasure truck, and 39k made sense... OH it was $8k out the door... I'm happy.

Id jump on yours... older GA, Low mile diesel... oh yea

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good deal either way you look at it. I would jump on it in a heart beat. I was just saying thats alot of replaced parts for the claimed milage. just my 2cents.

aaklingler

Reaction score
It's sounds to good to be true with the low miles and all the parts replaced, but if it isn't rusty it must have been taken care of or it hasn't been in pa long. Where are you at?

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
what i was told the guy im getting it off of said he bought it from an old guy that bought it new to pull a 5th wheel camper... the holes are in the bed to support this but the hitch is long gone.. from what ive seen it lived its whole life in PA. the guy im buying it from used it to pull a 5th wheel camper on occasian but mostly to remove yard debris from his property. the only reason he is getting rid of it is he is goin through the big "D" and his new place doesnt have room for it and wants something smaller better on gas

Me im outside of Myerstown,PA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online