GetRag Transmission Problems

GaFisher

Reaction score
I have a 90 D-250 4x4, when I try to shift into 3rd and 4th they wont engage, it seems like the gears have slid, they say there is a nut that comes loose on the output shaft, I dropped the transfer case and the housing that connects the tranny and the transfer case, I dont see the so called nut. If anyone who has any advice please let me know.Call me at 229-412-3637, any information will be helpful.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
The nut you're talking about is more of a problem with the NV4500 transmission in the 2nd Gen trucks. You may need to pull the tower off and see if there is a problem in there. If nothing is obviously wrong it may be time to tear into it.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yep, no loose nut on the getrag. They are easy to rebuild, make sure You buy a master kit if You do and check/replace the syncross bearing balls.
Btw You say Your truck is a d-250 but if it is 4x4 it should be w250 unless You converted it to 4wd.

GaFisher

Reaction score
I didnt think there was one but i was just making sure, thanks for the tips and also on the side of my truck it says Power Ram D-250, and in the books at oreilys there isnt a '90 W-250

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your fender says Power Ram 250, nowhere is there a "D". Power Ram means it's a 4x4, 4x2s just said Ram 250.
Travis..

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a big deal, it just helps when you are dealing with online forums it's good to be accurate when looking for information. Just remember, D is 2wd and W is 4wd. No different than Chevy, C is 2wd and K is 4wd.
Travis..

GaFisher

Reaction score
ah okay gotcha but anyways i gotta drop the tranny, im not taking the bell housing off just the tranny, it seems like its on their pretty good, should i just try and pry it on off or what?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yes, You pull the tranny from the bell. Pulling it should be easy, the bear is to put it back some times but then I've always done this on a ford.

MotleyCrueCab

Registered Abuser
Reaction score
On my getrag and a lot of others that i've heard about, the shifter forks wear out. I had this problem with first, heard its from people resting (putting weight) on the shifter constantly while its in gear...

Mike