Gear Vendors For a C6.....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-C-6-Ge...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e74ec1e2b&vxp=mtr
I was just surfing the gv ebay site and found this. Its a complete setup ready to bolt into your crewcab with a C6 trans. I'm thinking the price is right on but if you compare this to what typ4 just bought.. Well sometimes you get a good deal and sometimes you get a fantastic deal like Russ did. $1500.00 for a crewcab dueaaly 460 is a screaming deal. A deal like that is something I thought only Darrin was able to find...:eek::angel: Anyway. This is a deal I thought someone here might want and I know its the wrong time of the year.. But when else do these deals come up...:dunno I have a spare gv with a C6 adapter so having two spares is kinda going overboard I think...

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Damn I wish I was looking for something. Im really needing a 6th gear in mine.

Right now I think it has 4.10 gears and it just screams even with whatever the 5 speed manual tranny I have in mine is. ZF5 or something similar?

Always pop up when you cant afford em lol.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now I think it has 4.10 gears and it just screams even with whatever the 5 speed manual tranny I have in mine is. ZF5 or something similar?
Yeah, you have a ZF S5-42...and, you don't know "screaming" until you've driven a truck that has 4.10's and a C6 :shocked: You're literally riding the governor at 70 mph, and with no lockup converter, efficiency leaves much to be desired :shocked:

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Yeah, you have a ZF S5-42...and, you don't know "screaming" until you've driven a truck that has 4.10's and a C6 :shocked: You're literally riding the governor at 70 mph, and with no lockup converter, efficiency leaves much to be desired :shocked:

lol im glad I dont have that problem, mines bad enough.

What was there just 2 different ZF's?

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score

Ugh... don't remind me of that sound. I swear I couldn't hear for the rest of the day when I took an 8 hour road trip with my old '87 with that set up.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh... don't remind me of that sound. I swear I couldn't hear for the rest of the day when I took an 8 hour road trip with my old '87 with that set up.

I think it sounds wonderful hahaha. But yeah the old c6 does make the engine sing when plugging down the highway that's for sure.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lWhat was there just 2 different ZF's?
There was also the S5-47 which was used behind the PSD, but the S5-42 was the only 5 speed used behind the IDI. There was also a Mazda 5 speed offered in the same timeframe, but that was a light-duty tranny used behind the 302 and 300 6 cylinder.

Could be worse...my truck originally had a T-19 (so, slightly lower RPM's than a C6) and a lumber rack that made enough wind noise to drown out the engine :shocked: I had to wear hearing protection for long runs...

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ultimately I am going to throw a diesel in my 67 chevy. I have now ruled out the 6.2 now I am back to throwing my 6.9 in it. I am exploring trans options the z5 is awesome but there is also the t19 that sounds quick and simple when it comes to getting flywheel and starter.
I have been checking out posts but I'm am not seeming to find the info I want. I am in Az and idi in junk yards are not super hard to find. My question is, if I find a z5, 460 or 7.3 will everything match up to my 6.9 or will I have to scavenge from multiple trucks? The t19 sounds like a cleaner faster swap.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ultimately I am going to throw a diesel in my 67 chevy. I have now ruled out the 6.2 now I am back to throwing my 6.9 in it. I am exploring trans options the z5 is awesome but there is also the t19 that sounds quick and simple when it comes to getting flywheel and starter.
I have been checking out posts but I'm am not seeming to find the info I want. I am in Az and idi in junk yards are not super hard to find. My question is, if I find a z5, 460 or 7.3 will everything match up to my 6.9 or will I have to scavenge from multiple trucks? The t19 sounds like a cleaner faster swap.

460 zf is not a direct swap. The bellhousing is different but can be made to work. Save the tech article now!!!!!! The pictures will be gone tonight at midnight. When swapping in a manual you have to use the fly wheel that goes with the transmission not with the engine. The Ford manual says to never use the zf flywheel on the 6.9 only the 7.3. The factory flywheel for the factory 6.9/zf5 is the same as the 7.3/zf flywheel. :dunno:confused:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
460 zf is not a direct swap. The bellhousing is different but can be made to work. Save the tech article now!!!!!! The pictures will be gone tonight at midnight. When swapping in a manual you have to use the fly wheel that goes with the transmission not with the engine. The Ford manual says to never use the zf flywheel on the 6.9 only the 7.3. The factory flywheel for the factory 6.9/zf5 is the same as the 7.3/zf flywheel. :dunno:confused:
What he said. As to the T-19 vs ZF5, IMHO the ZF5 is worth the "extra" trouble unless the truck's going to be strictly a local/off-road rig. Besides, although you need to find a diesel ZF (or be prepared to convert a 460 ZF), the only real difference is in the clutch/flywheel...the hydraulics are the same and, if you're using a 4x4 trans, they're even the same length ;Sweet

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, It will be a road rig pull some trailers from time to time and pack my welder and some tools the rest of the time. I am not a big power guy I want things simple, and I love running WMO, my 6.9 non turbo is perfect. When mated to the manual trans I should have a good simple truck that will last many years and be cost effective. one of these days I hope to get a GV that will even further make things more efficent.

I need to start scouting junk yards so I can gather parts before heat comes back.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score

Thats exactly what I have and until this truck is loaded down with any kind of weight the screamin doesnt stop!!