Gauge install

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to install temp gauge and oil psi gauge. Wondering where you all are tapping in for the oil psi sensor? Already found a spot for the tenp gauge.
Also just curious as to where you all are mounting the gauges inside the cab?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I like pillar pods.

There's a few places to get oil pressure.
The factory sensor and on the oil cooler header.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only reason I ask about the oil psi gauge is because the truck is n/a right now but I already have an ats 093 kit bought just have to take off another truck and install on mine. Didn't wanna put the pressure gauge in a port that I would end up needing for the oil lines on the turbo

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also I planned on putting boost and egt on the pillar so I'm looking for alternate places to mount temp and oil psi and all get a good clean look

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Can't tell for sure, but looks like you have a brick nose.
You can get a 4 gauge puller pod for OBS trucks, which should fit a brick.
I know the banks puts the oil pressure switch up on the turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya my truck is 90 only 80k original miles bought it from the original owner couple months ago for 2700. Needless to say it needed some maintenance..
Didnt know an obs pillar pod would fit thanks for the info. Gonna try and get started on the turbo swap this weekend ill be sure to start a thread on how that goes

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here's a picture of the truck

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil pressure switch on the 093 is attached to the top of the turbo with the oil feed. A nice place to put it if you're worried about turbo oil. When I put in a gauge I just replaced the stock sender, I have ATS 088. Dash gauge becomes useless. You could also google ford oil pressure sender fix and turn your dash gauge into a variable gauge instead of a glorified idiot light. You change from a switch to a sender and bypass a resistor on the back of the cluster.

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I dont trust one of my dash gauges and I already bought aftermarket ones, so I guess ill just wait till I get the turbo on and install the oil pressure gauge then. Im not the most mechanically inclined I work as a body technician so thats what im good at, but hopefully with a few buddies we can get the turbo on and all my shiny new gauges in the truck so I can continue with my end hp goal of around 250

Reaction score
The oil pressure switch on the 093 is attached to the top of the turbo with the oil feed. A nice place to put it if you're worried about turbo oil. When I put in a gauge I just replaced the stock sender, I have ATS 088. Dash gauge becomes useless. You could also google ford oil pressure sender fix and turn your dash gauge into a variable gauge instead of a glorified idiot light. You change from a switch to a sender and bypass a resistor on the back of the cluster.

The only problem with replacing the stock sending unit with the one from the new gauge (aside from the non-functioning stock gauge) is that it'll throw a 'check engine' light. Not that that means much in our trucks, but I found it annoying. Instead, I plumbed the new sending unit to the same location as the stock unit with a 'T' fitting. But really, I need to move one of the two units to another port because it's a TIGHT fit for everything with the Banks kit installed (mounted on the turbo). If Autometer or someone offered a sending unit that wasn't so damn big, it'd be fine. Haven't found one yet, though.

OBS pillar pods will fit a bricknose with trimming. I have a 3-gauge pod from Autometer in my bricknose, and it fits fine. On the pillar, I have Boost, EGT, and coolant temp. I have the oil pressure gauge mounted under the ashtray. At the time I bought the pod, I was not planning on running another gauge, otherwise I probably would've purchased the Glow-shift 4 gauge pod to start with.

Mike

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang having 4 gauges up the pillar is a bunch! It would be cool looking in my opinion, but someone drives by mgr in a Cummins or d-max and I get smoke blowed all over me. Like I got a truck to be able to race or something lol. We got some real cool dudes are here

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyways I guess I got a gauge pod to buy, and also aside from a banks dp anything else I need to buy for this ats 093 I'm gonna install?

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only problem with replacing the stock sending unit with the one from the new gauge (aside from the non-functioning stock gauge) is that it'll throw a 'check engine' light. Not that that means much in our trucks, but I found it annoying.

So ground the oil pressure switch wire. down side, it will always show good oil pressure when the truck is running, so don't forget you need to look somewhere else. up side, don't need a tee, and have to fit everything into that space which is tight on every design except the 093.

Or on any design with a flexible oil supply line (ATS 085 and 088 at minimum) you can install the tee down below, and connect the gauge switch (or replacement sender) to one location and the gauge to the other. I'd put the real gauge at the turbo, that's what you really want to know I think. These turbos get oil from a port way down low on the rear of the engine on the driver's side, which is pretty easy to access from below the truck. The oil pressure switch only has one wire so it's easy to fiddle with.

See also http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/FordOilPressureGaugeFix.htm

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyways I guess I got a gauge pod to buy, and also aside from a banks dp anything else I need to buy for this ats 093 I'm gonna install?

You should probably be replacing all the O-Rings in the airway. Some of them can be tricky to find, especially the big one on the snail, but I actually got workable rings between the turbo and that on my 088 at my local hardware store of all places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online