gasser match

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
what gas engines bolt up to an E4OD tranny with the 7.3 idi bellhousing
i was thinking i will pull my idi drop in a gaspot sell the truck to help off set the cost of the body style i want.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Gas and diesel E4OD's are geared differently, im not sure it would work.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!:eek:

gasser bellhousings on gas engines and diesel bellhousings on diesel engines! The 460 bellhousing will not work on a diesel transmission or the other way around unless you hack it somehow. Don't want be be an ****, but I made this mistake and don't want to see some one else repeat it. I had to buy a used diesel E4OD case and swap all the parts over before I could put in my E4OD. Its a myth that a 460 bellhousing will work on a diesel but I still hear it from time to time.

Also the gear ratios are the same across all E4ODs regardless of what engine they are bolted to, the same is true for the older C6. However, valve body calibration and some internal differences are found between different E4ODs depending on the application, but the differences are very subtle and all the major hard parts are physically interchangeable. Later HD versions had updates like steel 6 pinion gears that were not used in small block application, for example.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!:eek:

gasser bellhousings on gas engines and diesel bellhousings on diesel engines! The 460 bellhousing will not work on a diesel transmission or the other way around unless you hack it somehow. Don't want be be an ****, but I made this mistake and don't want to see some one else repeat it. I had to buy a used diesel E4OD case and swap all the parts over before I could put in my E4OD. Its a myth that a 460 bellhousing will work on a diesel but I still hear it from time to time.

Also the gear ratios are the same across all E4ODs regardless of what engine they are bolted to, the same is true for the older C6. However, valve body calibration and some internal differences are found between different E4ODs depending on the application, but the differences are very subtle and all the major hard parts are physically interchangeable. Later HD versions had updates like steel 6 pinion gears that were not used in small block application, for example.

really is that just for autos will 460 5spd bolt up to a diesel

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The blocks are the same no matter what transmission is bolted up to them.

I know of one guy that was able to hack a ZF that came off a diesel and used it on a 460 engine, but he had access to a machine shop and it sounded like one of those more time than money situations. When I had the two transmissions on the floor it was possible for me to see that there was some similarity between the two.

The top two bolt centers seemed to be very close (bolt sizes are different), but the lower 4 bolt locations were different, but still close enough to interfere with any attempt to redrill the bellhousing. Casting ribs are also in the way, and locater dowels were completely different.

The diesels have what looks like an cast iron adaptor plate on them, so maybe thats where the myth came from. In reality its not really an adaptor plate at all. Its what holds the starter in place and the lower 4 bolts on the bellhousing go clean throught the plate and thread directly into the engine block. The upper two bolts are moved higher, but I have no idea why. The powerstroke has a plate that follows the block exactly and I've been told later diesels eliminate the plate all together.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cheapest thing to do is just a smallblock and smallblock E4OD. You can buy smallblock E4OD's for a few hundred bucks all day long, there just isn't much demand. And who wants to buy a 460 truck these days?

The hard part of the swap would be wiring all the electronics for the EFI engine. In tank electric fuel pump, etc.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son will have a 300 six with a 5spd on it available very soon. ;)

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could also use the AOD up to 1993 since that is a none computer shifted transmission. Its available only in the windsor small block bolt pattern.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726