Gas in a diesel?

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha, now, don't worry, I'm not about to try this!

But what happens exactly? Does it blow off your injector tips or something? What about water too?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Years ago we had a rental all terrain forklift and of course we used the gas cans for diesel and gas ( I now insist on having seperate cans ). Well gas got put in the diesel tractor, it ran very poorly and once shut off would not restart.

Gasoline burns much hotter and faster, I could see burning up valves or burning holes through the pistons. Maybe breaking off the ring lands off the pistons from the combustion shock.

Basically the important thing is as soon as you realize you've put gasoline in is to shut off the motor, drain the system and flush out the lines if the motor has been run. Now it takes a certain amount to hurt things. If you get a couple gallons of gas in the tank, just quit pumping, fill up with diesel and dump some motor oil into the tank to help thicken the fuel up.

In the old days it was recommended practice to thin diesel fuel with gasoline during the winter. I'd guess it was discontinued because people put in too much and damaged things. But a diesel will burn about any flammable fluid as long as it doesn't burn too fast or too slow.

You could probably even run on gas and oil if you got it mixed thick enough. I know they will run on 100% oil, at least in warmer temps.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I recently witnessed a lady filling a diesel U-HAUL truck with unleaded gasoline.:eek:

She looked like she wouldn't appreciate any advice on my part; so, I left well enough alone.

This day and time, if you say anything to a stranger, you might end up on the evening news.
cookoo

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean. I used to try to tell people that they were driving on flat tires. I always got looks like I was trying to scam them.

Now I just let em drive till the tire shreds and they need someone to tow them.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently witnessed a lady filling a diesel U-HAUL truck with unleaded gasoline.:eek:

She looked like she wouldn't appreciate any advice on my part; so, I left well enough alone.

Fleet and other commercial customers get the diesels. Most of the u haul and budget rental trucks for retail customers making a one time move are gassers because people that don't drive diesels don't know better, don't know how to drive them and don't know enough to wait for the glow plugs to warm up before starting.

A few years ago you couldn't even get a diesel from them if you requested it and I sure tried. Last few moves I made sucked with gas 460 Ford engines on 24 ft box trucks getting 3 MPG filling up every 50 miles.:cry:

broncobilly_69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know I still let people know if they are puting gas in their diesel or vise or about flat tires and find most are appreciative and if not I atleas know I did the right thing.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my '79 MBZ 300SD owner's manual, it states "no more than 10percent of total amount filled". ie...20gal tank, 2gal of gas at the most. Most folks filling up their U-hauls will run them to empty before filling them up. Out in kali, there's quite a few diesel U-hauls roaming around.
As far as giving people a "heads up" on a potential problem, I usually will size them up before deciding to say something or not. If I am running a commercial vehicle(towtruck), I usually won't say a word. Anything said could be misconstrued as solicitation.

MoonDog

Reaction score
I understand the differences between fuel oils and gasoline, but how do multi-fuel engines work? I have a friend with an old 2.5 ton military truck, and on it somewhere (don't remember exactly where) it lists all the various things it will burn, ie jet fuel, diesel, kerosene, and gasoline! How do they pull it off?

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
The Multifuel has a pump that adjust the amount of fuel injected via sensing the thickness of teh fuel(if the Military didn't remove it).Also the fuel is not sprayed into the cylinder but kinda slobbered into the Hyper chamber in the piston and on to the cylinder walls causing it to evaporate and burn.There is actually a small amout of liquid fuel inside the pistons that doesn't burn right away on the LD-465.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Also the fuel is not sprayed into the cylinder but kinda slobbered into the Hyper chamber in the piston and on to the cylinder walls causing it to evaporate and burn.There is actually a small amout of liquid fuel inside the pistons that doesn't burn right away on the LD-465.

Sounds sort of like a lanova cell. I thought that technology was gone by the time those engines were produced :rolleyes:
James

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
well,it turned out to be the perfect way to get an internal combustion engine to run on Diesel,Kero,Gasoline,etc without spark plugs and be able to run with ZERO electricity.I can remove the batteries and alternator and still be able to drive this truck from New York to Kalifornia.Also,I can start said truck by just barely having it roll forward.That is the reason it say DO NOT PARK IN GEAR in the TMs.Any small bump will start these things.MANY truck have been bumped in the Motor pools and drove off by themselves due to careless GIs and a building ain't gonna stop one if it is in 1st gear or reverse.Now,if I could only shoehorn one into a F350........

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean. I used to try to tell people that they were driving on flat tires. I always got looks like I was trying to scam them.

Now I just let em drive till the tire shreds and they need someone to tow them.

A few years ago, the wife, kid, and I, were sitting at a picnic table at SEE ROCK CITY, Chattanooga, Tennessee, minding our :angel: own business, eating a picnic lunch.

Right in front of us, with the wheels cut sharp around, so that the tires were easily seen, was a very late model Lincoln, a huge land yacht of a car, with plates from somewhere many thousands of miles away.

The right front tire was about half flat, with the steel:eek: sticking out of the shoulder all the way around.

While we were sitting there, a family with a bunch of kids started piling in that car.

:yell: I spoke up and mentioned the situation to the man about to get under the wheel.

He quickly informed me that it was "none of your :mad: damn :mad: business" and that I would be better to keep my ":mad: f---ing nose:mad: " to my own affairs, along with me taking a general all purpose cussing; the guy slammed his door, squeeked the tires, and left there, foaming at the mouth.cookoo

You talk about road-rage, I'm just glad that cookoo idiot cookoo didn't have a gun.:shoot:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7