full synthetic 0w40

HiWayMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
budtoh3zo said:
Cant use 15w40 at -30 to -40*C wont turn over fast enogh to start and if it does u run a good risk of damage to the motor, its hard to find oil light enough to run in the diesels up here.

As far North as you are, why not use your block heater?

Al

JimmyDee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why plug in at zero degrees F when the synthetic will do the job. (Yes I know, instant heat in the cab) We seldom get below zero but it does happen and my truck will start and run without being plugged in. Kind of helps offset the extra cost of synthetic.
Jim

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even with the block heater in that weather, 15W40 does NOT cut it. One of those goofy stick on oil pan magnet heaters might do something, but, even with a block heater, you're very close to, if not below the pour point of 15W40 at those temperatures, and while the coolant is warmed by the block heater, the oil down in the pan below the rest of the engine doesn't get warmed nearly as much.

HiWayMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
budtoh3zo said:
Also im not always by power, Somedays im 200 km away from everything so she needs to start with out help.

Yeah, makes sense to me... Wish I could help you on the oil thing but I haven't had to deal with that much cold for a long time. Good luck finding what's best....

Al

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
Thanks, Thats why i went with the 0W40 syn and just change it more frequently, she starts at -45 if i need her thats all i need any colder and i stay inside haha

HiWayMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
budtoh3zo said:
Thanks, Thats why i went with the 0W40 syn and just change it more frequently, she starts at -45 if i need her thats all i need any colder and i stay inside haha

I just looked at your pictures.. Pretty neat stuff. Yeah, and it does look like it could get real cold up there.... That's a great "bumper" on the 87.. Did you fab that up? It looks highly capable of protecting the front end. I like it.. :thumbsup:

Al

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
Thanks, ya i made that up, Next is HG's fix the cab corners new front fenders, and a flat bed. Im also going to rig a remote turbo in her an D6 cat turbo.

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
A remote turbo is a turbo that is mounted away from the motor, in my case prolly under the flat bed, Disadvatage Lagtime, Advantage, The legth the air has to travle acts like a intercooler. have to see if its worth it when i do it.

HiWayMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
budtoh3zo said:
A remote turbo is a turbo that is mounted away from the motor, in my case prolly under the flat bed, Disadvatage Lagtime, Advantage, The legth the air has to travle acts like a intercooler. have to see if its worth it when i do it.

Sounds interesting, but a lot of extra work compared to a "normal" mount...

Al

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86