full synthetic 0w40

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
any of you guys that are running synthetic heard of or seen anybody running 0w40 in place of 15w40 conventional oil

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running 0W40 in my 6.9, ran it in my 7.3 PSD too, it's run in dang near everything up here due to the severe cold in the winter.
What specificaly are you wanting to know?

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
Never seen diesel-rated 0W-40--I've seen Delvac 1 5W-40 from Mobil, though. Never tried it...my trucks have always gotten regular Super Tech 15W-40.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
guess i just wanted to know if you have had any troubles with low oil pressure or anything.
do you run it in the warmer months also?

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
I never had any problems with it, oil pressure was about 2 pounds less at idel, and for the old diesel's u dont really need diesel rated oil

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run it year round in my gasser and in the diesels I've had, never had issues with low oil pressure, but, everything I've had has had good oil pressure to start with.
I've found that it is a bit harder to keep contained leak wise, even compared to heavier synthetic, but, that's no big deal.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
budtoh3zo.and for the old diesel's u dont really need diesel rated oil[/QUOTE said:
hey man everybody has there own ideas,but if it is a diesel it gets diesel rated oil :rtfm :backoff :D
i think i'll just stick with the 15w40 thats shes used to,besides i already have enough leaks,dont need any help :rotflmao

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
Cant use 15w40 at -30 to -40*C wont turn over fast enogh to start and if it does u run a good risk of damage to the motor, its hard to find oil light enough to run in the diesels up here.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rancherman84 said:
hey man everybody has there own ideas,but if it is a diesel it gets diesel rated oil :rtfm :backoff :D
Quick clarification on why diesels need diesel-rated oil. Oil rated for a diesel engine is better-formulated to handle the soot that diesels naturally put into their oil. Running g@$$er oil will simply make the oil dirty to the point where it needs to be changed all that much faster.

I would say that it's okay to run g@$$er oil in a semi-emergency, but I would change it out for diesel-rated oil PDQ.

Just my $.02...

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are using a diesel In cold weather and need a light diesel oil that will flow when its cold and be able to lubricate the the piston rings at startup, I know from experience that Amsoil 5w30 heavy duty diesel will fit the bill and perform as advertised, ;Sweet
AMSOIL Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil remains fluid at temperatures as low as -60° F (-51° C). It circulates rapidly to provide vital lubrication and prevent engine wear caused by lack of oil flow. AMSOIL Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy-Duty Diesel Oil allows quicker, easier cold temperature starting with significantly reduced engine wear.

I hope this helps out the ones living in cold climates.
I noticed a difference with Amsoil 15w40 compared to Rottella 15w30
here in Miami Fl its not cold but in the mornings my IDI 7.3 would have
a tough time getting warmed up, real noisy and hesitant to make road speed,
If I tried to drive it before a full ten min warmup.
I finally bought Amsoil 15w40 diesel and marine oil
and imediately I noticed a drastic improvement at start up,
all the noise had stopped and I could actually drive it right after startup
wich I still wait a few min before driving anyway.
That was enough for me to realize I was wasting my money with standard oil.
I have completely stop using any standard oil in all my vehicles drivetrains and I am happy to share my experience with others.
Javier

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
i've always run 15w40 no1 from caseih,had no problems in cold temps,oil pressure comes right up no clatter.
all the die hard caseih farmers run it and have no problems,when guys get 8,000 to 10,000 hours on engines i wont argue,of course the newer red tractors use cummins power,so that helps -Flame Thr (flame suit on)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online