Fuel sender advice?

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay the next project is to get the flatbed on and the rear tank fuel gauge working. I need places to get a guage sending unit from. I have looked on ebay, and lmc truck. Lmc list one but $140 seems steep. My truck is an 89 f-250. Any suggestions. Also I need advice on cruise control. I either need an amplifier or a steering column. We haven't had my flat bay open in the shop for a while to get my truck in.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be able to get one from fordparts.com for around $100-120 they are steep and they still won't tell you much about how much fuel you really have. More like guidelines.

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble also with my gauges. I took the gauge off a 94' F150 gas job and it looks exactly like the PS20 unit however when i went to hook it to mine I got nothing on my gauge in the cab. I know my original sender is bad because I looked at the circuit board and the contacts are all gone. This new one out of the gas ford looks brand new but i cannot get any reading when I move the float up and down the only thing I get is it spikes to the Full mark when I touch the wire to the frame giving it a full ground. Any advice?

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1986 6.9L Diesel, I have the bed off and do not want to put it back on until i fix the gauges and the black rubber piece, I guess you guys called it a pickup screen rotted off so I cannot get to the diesel at the bottom of the tanks.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC, they changed the resistance values for the 1987 model year...so, an '87-'97 fuel sender won't work in an '80-'86 truck, and vice-versa.

I was once told that on the '80-'86 trucks, the resistance values are 70 ohms at empty and 10 ohms at full. Not sure what it was on the later trucks...

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the help:thumbsup: .... We were wondering that that might have been it but we weren't sure. Many things are compatible with the 80-86 and 87-96. I was told from Ford that i could not put a 94' door on my 86'. I used to call up Ford dealers for advice but 99.9% of the time they were wrong.cookoo I have them both on there and they fit perfect.:rotflmao