"FUEL PUMP"

foxman

foxman
Reaction score
Several days ago I posted the question of how to replace the banjo bolt under the turbo when replacing the turbo. If I did not share this method, I would to be submerged in warm diesel fuel ! First - I cannot get my hand under the turbo to start the banjo bolt. I got the fitting into place on the fuel pump and secured it there with a plastic wire-tie on each metal line and around the turbo base pedestals on each side. Now with that fitting secured in place, I was able to manuver the bolt thru the fitting and to touch the pump but could not reach it to turn it. Using a 1/2 inch drive 1 1/4 inch socket, I put a nylon string into the square drive hole and snapped a 1/2 to 3/8 reducer in there - - in the back of that I put a 3/8 to 1/4 drive reducer and then a 1/4 drive ratchet. With the 3 ft of nylon string wound in the proper direction - then working the ratchet and socket assembly under the turbo and onto the banjo bolt. Hold the socket on bolt with ratchet ,,, pull string like a starter rope on mower.,.,., BANJO BOLT STARTS AND SCREWS HALF WAY IN !!! This was so easy a cave man could do it.
I hope this helps others who have also faced this delima
Foxman

foxman

foxman
Reaction score
Several days ago I posted the question of how to replace the banjo bolt under the turbo when replacing the turbo. If I did not share this method, I would to be submerged in warm diesel fuel ! First - I cannot get my hand under the turbo to start the banjo bolt. I got the fitting into place on the fuel pump and secured it there with a plastic wire-tie on each metal line and around the turbo base pedestals on each side. Now with that fitting secured in place, I was able to manuver the bolt thru the fitting and to touch the pump but could not reach it to turn it. Using a 1/2 inch drive 1 1/4 inch socket, I put a nylon string into the square drive hole and snapped a 1/2 to 3/8 reducer in there - - in the back of that I put a 3/8 to 1/4 drive reducer and then a 1/4 drive ratchet. With the 3 ft of nylon string wound in the proper direction - then working the ratchet and socket assembly under the turbo and onto the banjo bolt. Hold the socket on bolt with ratchet ,,, pull string like a starter rope on mower.,.,., BANJO BOLT STARTS AND SCREWS HALF WAY IN !!! This was so easy a cave man could do it.
I hope this helps others who have also faced this delima
Foxman

I said "when replacing turbo" but I should have said replacing fuel pump without removing turbo! thanks for allowing me to correct myself!
Foxman

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I wish I would have known this, when I replaced my fuel pump...

I had to put one gasket on the banjo bolt, maneuver it into place by hand and get the other gasket on it very carefully! I managed to get it all there, but it took me a bit of time to get the bolt started in the pump. Once I did get it started, I used a bent 1.25" box end wrench to tighten it.

Not a job I would want to repeat anytime soon...

Nice writeup!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle