fuel pump with thick fuel

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys I am this weekend going to start my fuel system on my 72 truck. I will be running diesel, wmo, atf and what ever will run. I have built a filter system and heater system at the front of the truck. My question is will my holley red push this thick mix from the bed of truck without being heated? I have a 50gal fuel tank that I have a insert built to run engine water to heat it but It will be time consuming and costly to route the line there and back to motor. next question is with my pump it has extra spring to run at 14psi max, will this be a good setting to run the thick mix or should I leave it set at the 10psimax setting? thanks for help in advance greg;Sweet

bcool

Reaction score
my holley blue didnt like it when all my oil was settled at the bottom the last time i mixed my tank. Although my Fuel pressure gauge is mounted after the filter, so possibly it might have had an issue with going through the fuel filter.

Ultralight

Reaction score
The easiest thing to do is find a magnetic oil pan heater and stick it to the bottom of your tank. JCWhitney (carparts.com) has one for $55. The oil will be nice and warm for startup and the recirculation back to the tank will keep it that way after you unplug the heater. In the mean time you can use a heat lamp aimed at your tank. Just use your brain and don't melt anything. Also McMaster.com has this heating pad 35765K168 and it is only $18

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
well i have a holly blue that just runs at a higher pressure and it dousent work well at all. i am not sure if it is my pump or in general with the thick fuel but it will run then open up the pressure relief and die off. i can watch the pressure build to about 10psi at my filter head before the filter. as soon as it hits around 10psi the relief opens up and the pressure drops to 1psi or less. it wont come back even if i toggle the switch, it has to sit a while before it will build again. i took it apart and the relief plunger moves freely so i am not sure what is up.

i am thinking about trying to shim the relief when i get some time to mess with it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online